HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Morton View Post

What religion were you brought up in? Did you leave?

Cheryl
    R. Catholic. It did a number on me in many ways, but I can't really compare my experiences with yours, Cheryl. Horrors!

I finally asked for a "sign" to leave. If I could find the much older thread where I laid it all out (it involved a kitten named Orange Peel), I'd retrieve it. Alas, the archives being what they are, it has probably been zapped forever.

Briefly, though, it was one of the best moves I ever made.

*_*

Kitty. Catholicism is a fear-based religion? You must have had experience with nuns and rulers too lol.

LOL. One of my closest friends is a recovering Catholic. I've heard some horror stories.

Cheryl

Damn. I read this earlier and my eyes immediately welled up with tears, and I had to walk away.
    I am distancing myself from this story.

Yes, Cheryl, that's what I knew. I knew that if you took my post seriously, there would be tears. And I knew you were standing back because it is painful.

I encourage you to take a fresh look at your manuscript, even though you think it's finished, and ask yourself where am I hiding? Then cry if you need to, and be as honest as you can possibly be. Because if you stand back, so will the reader, and you want them to go through the experience with you. Don't ask the reader to do what you won't do. It's a memoir, not a novel. In the manuscript and the query, you've got to be brave enough to tell the truth. Here's what happened to me. Here's how I lived through it. This is who I am today.

Regarding the Q letter, I'll remind you that this is not a badly written. You're closer than you think, but you've got to be real or don't bother. It will most likely be a breakthrough experience for you. That is exactly what it should be. And when you've done it, you can ask the reader to do it. And they will.

publishing it will mean that anyone could potentially read it

Honey, I hope so! I hope everyone on the face of the earth reads it! That's the goal, isn't it? Yes, let everyone know your story and be courageous in it, or write it as a novel. Nothing wrong with that, either. But it isn't what you want, is it? It sounds to me like you want to be YOU telling YOUR story and seeing what comes of it.

I need to own it.

Right on. I have no doubt that you can do this.
    Last edited by leslee; 06-05-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post
    I encourage you to take a fresh look at your manuscript, even though you think it's finished, and ask yourself where am I hiding? Then cry if you need to, and be as honest as you can possibly be. Because if you stand back, so will the reader, and you want them to go through the experience with you. Don't ask the reader to do what you won't do. It's a memoir, not a novel. In the manuscript and the query, you've got to be brave enough to tell the truth. Here's what happened to me. Here's how I lived through it. This is who I am today.
    Leslee, I have read and reworked this manuscript so many times. I know it inside and out. I'm not saying that there isn't room for improvement. In fact, I'm sure I'll be rewriting it at least a couple more times as I get feedback on it. But even as I read portions of it again tonight, I don't know what I could do to attach myself to it more than I have. I still cry, and I still get really angry when I read portions of it, but I am totally open to suggestions on how I could make it better. I'm willing to pour myself into it further, but I feel like I'm in as deeply as I can get. I'm going to post some portions of it on the writing critique forum. If you care to critique them I would greatly appreciate it. If you see any ways that I can convey the emotion better, I would definitely reread it with those suggestions in mind.

Regarding the Q letter, I'll remind you that this is not a badly written. You're closer than you think, but you've got to be real or don't bother. It will most likely be a breakthrough experience for you. That is exactly what it should be. And when you've done it, you can ask the reader to do it. And they will.

Honey, I hope so! I hope everyone on the face of the earth reads it! That's the goal, isn't it? Yes, let everyone know your story and be courageous in it, or write it as a novel. Nothing wrong with that, either. But it isn't what you want, is it? It sounds to me like you want to be YOU telling YOUR story and seeing what comes of it.

I need to own it.

Right on. I have no doubt that you can do this.
    Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm slowly working myself there. LOL

Cheryl