HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

help with a name

I have a question about a character name. One of my characters in the story I am working on is a guy who is Northern Irish by birth, but who has lived in America for about 20 years. He is in his 50's, a professor of English at an area university. The name I have chosen for him is Lucas Riordan. Now, I know that Lucas is technically NOT an Irish name. But would it be foolish to give him a non-Irish first name? Couldn't his parents have named him after someone they met who was from somewhere else but had that name? I just need to know if this would be okay, believable, or if I should change his name to something like Declan or Seamus or Sean or something. Thanks!

Aver0n 2o11
    I think the surname is more important in terms of indicating his ethinicity. Not sure about Irish surnames but I think the Scottish ones are the ones that have Mc... & O'... so as long as the surname is recognisably Irish.

I think what is more important for the first name is that it expresses the essence of that character - you don't have to go into the etymology of the name but we sometimes associate certain names with certain character traits. Joan, she's a bit of a gossiper, James, he's a bit of a nerd, or whatever (I just made those up, are not my actual opinions) - all I'm saying is that even when we don't know the person, when we are introduced by name, our opinion forming of that person is already starting - probably why you wouldn't want to go into an interview with the name Harry Potter even if that is your real name.

Amy Lou
    Just my opinion, and I'm no professional writer but if he's Irish by birth, I feel he would have an authentic Irish name. My husbands grandfather's parents were from Germany and all the children had authentic German names.
    Just what I think, others may disagree. Good luck neighbor!

Amy Lou
    Quote Originally Posted by Averon 2011 View Post
    I think the surname is more important. Not sure about Irish surnames but I think the Scottish ones are the ones that have Mc... & O'... so as long as the surname is recognisably Irish. I think what is more important for the first name is that it expresses the essence of that character - you don't have to go into the etymology of the name but we sometimes associate certain names with certain character traits. Joan, she's a bit of a gossiper, James, he's a bit of a nerd, or whatever (I just made those up, are not my actual opinions) - all I'm saying is that even when we don't know the person, when we are introduced by name, our opinion forming of that person is already starting - probably why you wouldn't want to go into an interview with the name Harry Potter even if that is your real name.
    Ha! My father-in-law is a James and he's a big nerd! LOL

Well, according to babycenter.com, the name is Latin in origin and means "bringer of light." Which I guess is kinda fitting for his functions in the story. Thanks!

Michele B
    [QUOTE=Averon 2011;1325511Not sure about Irish surnames but I think the Scottish ones are the ones that have Mc... & O'... .[/QUOTE]

It's Irish surnames that begin with O'. They also, like the Scottish ones, begin with Mc or Mac, as well.