HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Michele B

Children's stories

What kind of a market is there for children's stories? I know YA is popular, but I write fairy stories geared for very young children. Do I need an agent?

You don't need an agent for picture books (there is not enough money in them for agents to want to rep them) and often not for early readers; generally you do need an agent for middle grade and above. There is a very specific way to submit picture books to publishers (and before you ask, unless you are a professional illustrator, you don't submit your own illustrations; publishers prefer to match up the stories with their own artists). Check out the SCBWI: http://www.scbwi.org/Pages.aspx/Top-10-FAQs Good luck!

Michele B
    Thanks, Jena.

I did not know that Jena! I have been considering writing one myself but have the pictures in my head.. was going to have them illustrated professionally. Not sure that I want a stranger deciding on that.

The latex sales division of Vandelay Industries
    Jena's right. You have to split the royalties, too!

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.
    - Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Theron View Post
    I did not know that Jena! I have been considering writing one myself but have the pictures in my head.. was going to have them illustrated professionally. Not sure that I want a stranger deciding on that.
    Actually the publishers do an excellent job. I've never heard an author complain about the illustrations.

Thanks Jena.. I looked at the info on the website.. I am not sure that I understand why the publishers would want to handle the illustrations if they are on offer though. It seems odd. Why would they not prefer that the author deals with the illustrator and pays the illustrator independent of what the book sells. Unless they keep staff on hand specifically for this purpose? Not whining.. just interested.
    Last edited by Diane Theron; 06-07-2011 at 10:21 PM.

From the SCBWI website (an excellent resource, btw--check it out!)

"Should I get someone to illustrate my picture book before I submit it?
    "Almost always: no. The editor who purchases your picture book manuscript or the art director at that publishing house will ultimately choose the illustrator. Except in rare circumstances, it is seldom a good idea to collaborate with an illustrator. Illustrators are better off researching the market and submitting their portfolios for assignments. You don't want to illustrate it yourself unless you are a professional. There is also no need to describe the illustrations in your submission. If your manuscript doesn't come to life visually without being explained, then it probably needs work. If the story needs to be told by the illustrations, then mention that briefly in your cover letter. Perhaps include a separate page with annotations for the illustrations (so titled), but you may not want to clutter the main manuscript with explanations."