HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Question on QL's and Synopsis

Hi Guys. A few of the agencies I'm considering submitting to ask for a QL and a brief synopsis. I'm a little confused. Why both? It seems like the QL is mostly covering ground duplicated in the synopsis. Should the QL be different in a case like this?

Also, since it's a brief synopsis, I'm wondering if I can leave the prologue out and just start the synopsis when the protagonist makes his appearance?

Thanks to all.

Do a regular query letter. It only contains a paragraph or two of storyline description.

Since they are specifically requesting a brief synopsis, make it one page. Obviously, the synopsis will include more storyline detail than the paragraph or two in a QL. If you think you can't pare the synopsis down to one page, don't go beyond two. Anything more than that is not brief.

It is fine to leave the prologue details out of the synopsis if you want to. A brief synopsis is not going to include every detail in the book, anyway.

Just remember that the QL and the synopsis have to demonstrate your ability to write. Agents see hundreds of them. Yours has to stand out.

Best of luck to you.

Leslee. Thanks. Good luck to you too!!

That's exciting! Good luck.

Allott. Thank you. Good Luck to you too!!