HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this true?

Is this true?

An editor with whom I was corresponding in another forum said that, in order for me to be taken seriously when it comes to publishing the story I'm working on right now, that I need to have published stuff in magazines, anthologies, etc. I guess she meant things like short stories, essays and the like. Is this true?

What do you mean by taken seriously?

Are you asking if you can get your story published without having had other things published first? Yes, you can, assuming the writing is strong enough to attract a publisher.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Sorry if I wasn't more clear -- my quota of caffeine for the morning had not yet been met. Yeah, this former editor chick (and I won't reveal her name because I try not to be that way) said I need to gfocus on getting other stuff published in smaller pubs, mags, anthologies and the like or a BOOK publisher wouldn't give me the time of day. I am beginning to think a bunch of smoke has been blown up my caboose. Thanks!

Every published writer was unpublished at some point. Sometimes the first publication is a short story, or an article in the local newspaper or a poem in the college annual. And sometimes it's a novel or screenplay or guidebook.

The editor may have meant that it's easier to get an agent's or pub's attention if you have a lengthy list of published credits. That's probably true. But to hold their attention, the writing you're presenting at the time is what counts. Write something that keeps strangers turning pages and you'll get published.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Hord View Post
    An editor with whom I was corresponding in another forum said that, in order for me to be taken seriously when it comes to publishing the story I'm working on right now, that I need to have published stuff in magazines, anthologies, etc. I guess she meant things like short stories, essays and the like. Is this true?
    It used to drive me crazy to hear this. I don't write short stories. I suck at short stories. I have no interest in writing short stories. So I chose to ignore this advice and write a novel instead. I can write novels, and it's all I want to write. However, if you do have shorts published, you have something to put in the bio part of your query letter.

It's just BS. Maybe that's how this person did business, but most editors are looking for good writing, whether the writer was previously published or not.

Thanks for the reassurances, you guys! Your comments are confirming things I am reading in a book called "The First Five Pages." And, Jena, I have no interest in writing a short story. Which is strange since I am ADHD and we usually like short and sweet. When I'm writing and I start to feel that impatientness rear it's ugly head, I go do something else for awhile. Dishes, read, watch a movie, run errands. Something to put just a little distance between me and the work for a little while.