HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Fake Memoir, can it be a genre?

The question is the title of the thread. There seems to be many memoirs that are discovered fake with author fessing up after the fact for inventing part or even the entire stories. Can Fake Memoir be a genre?

I ask, because to make my own memoirs a compelling page turner I've changed the timeline plus added an ending that did not happen and changed names in order to protect myself and the people involved.

How could I present this "memoir" if not Fake Memoir, with me as 1st POV? Could I say it is a fiction based on my memoirs?

A.E.. there are a lot of opinons on this. Mine is to go for a semi-autobiography which is a recognised sub cat. It allows you space to fictionise while basing on your memoirs. My 5c.

A.E.,

Yes, faked memoirs are call fiction -- first person fiction. Most fiction writers steal from their own real lives to create their stories. Many steal whole swathes of their lives. A writer who does this and tries to market it as memoir is simply a liar who couldn't even write well enough to compete with his actual field -- fiction is stiffer competition. You cannot invent or change anything in a memoir. If you want to make your actual memoir more compelling, go further into the truth of your experience. If you want to go further into truth outside your experience, write fiction.

I've got absolutely no tolerance for this sort of thing. Use your experiences any way you want -- all fiction writers do. Believe me, you write a piece of first-person fiction and hordes of readers will ask you all sorts of questions about what was capture from your own life and what you made up. You write a "memoir" in which you make up bits, you'll be a laughing stock. Of course, you could get rich off it, but you'll never get respect.

Call it a roman a clef, a novel based on real-life experiences.

Jeanne

Dear CK,
    Thanks for your answer "Yes, faked memoirs are call fiction." Fiction with a 1st person POV, not necessarily. But I am asking if the story is presented from the debut as a "Fake Memoir" not a memoir, how could it be classified, fiction. Not really.

Diane, if a semi autobiography is a sub category how is it that classified? non-fiction.

Jeanne, what is a roman a clef?

A.E.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
    Adj. 1. semiautobiographical - of or relating to a work that combines autobiography and fiction; "a semiautobiographical novel"

Louisa May Alcott - Author

Titles in Fiction/Novel Category Top

•Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation, The A short fiction, a Christmas story by A.M. Barnard (Alcott)

•Behind A Mask; Or A Woman's Power Novella is written under pen name A. M. Barnard

•Eight Cousins A novel

•Flower Fables

•Hospital Sketches A short fiction

•Jack and Jill A novel

•Jo's Boys A novel

•Little Men A novel

•Little Women A novel

•Moods A novel

•Old-fashioned Girl, An A novel

•Rose in Bloom - A Sequel to "Eight Cousins" A novel

•Shawl-Straps

•Story of Experience, A A fiction

•Under the Lilacs A novel

Work: A Story of Experience A semi-autobiographical novel

Source: Google the author.

Thank Diane!

I just say that mind is "based on true events"

Since I was reamed by some people here, but mostly because I let a friend (a technical translator and voracious reader) read the first 40K words that I've managed to cram into life since May; since then. I turned my fake memoirs into a fiction and the story has taken off. Thanks for the input of everyone here especially CK. There are many writers that ride the line, look at Amy Tan, real life turned into fiction, but then you can see her talking about her stories even on youtube as real life happenings. Or even Elisabeth Gilbert, c'mon Eat Pray Love, how much of that is a memoir? It seems highly romanced to me.

I still have this burning question that no one seems able to answer but now there is a nuance. Can Fake Memoir be a genre? Or can one market their story as thus?

C'mon get out your guns and fire.

Roman à clef— is that a key romance? It's what that means in French, but what is it?