HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Cool Question on including official government documents in my book

I understand that any government document produced by a government worker as part of his job--is automatically in the public domain and does not need any permission to reprint in a book. One source informed that this is true for U.S. government (federal) but wasn't clear about state or other official agency documents. I am including in the appendix of my book (to be published by Writer's Digest books) titled "GANGS, DRUGS, CRIME & PRISON--The Insider's Guide to the Language & Lifestyle of an American Subculture (uncensored)" complete copies of documents (generated for public information and use) by the Calif. Dept. of Corrections and others. I want to be sure I do not need any permission to reprint. Can anyone answer that question, or point me to a resource for a clear understanding.
    Thank you.

Why don't you just go to California's state website and find out?

Hey,
    I hadn't really considered that a Cal state website may contain any info on permissions for their published documents--but I will check it out. I can't be the first ever to seek an answer to that--so maybe. Thanks for the input. Take care.
    Best, Robert