HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Quality of eBooks

Okay, so I put my adult firefighter story OLD FLAMES on Amazon Kindle and Smashwords and am waiting for it to be shipped to Apple, nook, Kobo, etc. While perusing the list at Smashwords (haven't checked Kindle that closely yet) I can see there's a problem with English and structure on many book just in the synopsis. This isn't a great selling point writers. This tells me your best bait to lure me in is substandard. Editing is where the work is and if you can't edit get someone else who can. My story has been critiqued by my diligent and tough writers group and probably a dozen drafts. It finally got to the stage where I wouldn't be embarrassed by showing it to the world. Yes, the world, the millions who go on-line everyday looking for a fine-crafted book - no one wants to read a book that's filled with problems. These are speed bumps that slow your story reducing it's effectiveness and overall theme.
    Get with it people, clean up your mess before you submit.

E.R.

Great advice. But I'm afraid it falls on deaf ears. Most of the folks who self publish do so BECAUSE they do not wish to hone their skills enough to be competitive in the traditional market.

Aver0n 2o11
    Quote Originally Posted by C K View Post
    Most of the folks who self publish do so BECAUSE they do not wish to hone their skills enough to be competitive in the traditional market.
    Not really, it's coz the traditional market is more crowded and editors expect more from a novice writer now (because they don't have the time to edit through rubbish). They used to "buy" manuscripts based on editor digression - now they have boardroom meetings with heads of every other department (sales, marketing, artistic design, etc...). It's good because every department has a vested interest in the product and if and when it does get the green light, you know they will work their butts off to make one hell of a book, but the decision period takes much much longer now.

Not sure how ebooks work, don't buy 'em, don't read 'em, don't publish/write 'em. I hate reading off a computer screen no matter how small it is. If I wanted to read electronic books I'd download the free ones off the internet and read 'em on my laptop when I got nothing better to do. For actual "reading", I prefer the ungreen way of traditional paper and ink. Until traditional books become obsolete due to global warming concerns, my position will not change.

I've only read one ebook. Or I should say PART of one. It needed serious editing.

Good advice, Yatscoff; it's a shame you didn't take the time to edit and/or proofread your post before submitting it. There are problems with missing punctuation, an un-capitalized proper noun and at least one word given in the singular that needs to be plural. Why should we listen to your advice, good as it is, if you can't be arsed to follow it yourself?

Tough crowd. I spend enough time on my stories that my emails suffer for it.

It may sound tough, but you have to remember that this is a writing site. We know you only by what we see in your posts. Also, if you are consistently sloppy with the email correspondence, that sloppiness is likely to slide over into your work. The fingers have memory.

Jeanne

Yes, tough crowd indeed. However, if you take off your boots and stay awhile you may found that we are also sometimes helpful, controversial and fight a lot. We also eat a lot of tuna. Welcome!

Regardless of the presentation (and I admit, I read so fast I rarely pick up mistakes--including my own--unless I'm actively critiquing) I agree with the OP. The few e-books I've glanced at online, ones that were not put out by commercial publishers, were riddled with errors and poorly written. If you're going to put something out there for the public to read, at least hire an editor if you're incapable of editing it yourself.

Being honest I found the experience of releasing my first ebook rather rewarding and also inspirational at the same time, I do not wish to argue with anyone other than to say we are all different and have an assortment of aspirations, for me the pride to say I self published a short novel is immense and adds fuel to the fire to continue on with my writing exploits

I was worried that I could not format the ebook properly but I aced it on the first go, I feel there is a market for the 'amateur author' such as myself, another factor is that I recently read many publishers play it safe by only giving recognized authors a place on their shelves, I really do not think people should begrudge others for trying. So far I have found the experience to be quite exciting and hope to continue down that track

I guess each to their own, basically just because it is self published does not mean it is crap or unprofessional. I am happy to admit many may consider my first attempt poorly written? Although I do feel for 99 cents it offers a fun read and is just a little thought provoking, worth remembering we are at different levels of writing.
    Last edited by rod seeber; 06-02-2011 at 02:22 AM.
    VirtualBooks.Com.Au ...... seeking new authors to share their stories, experiences and inspirations

JackUgly.Com .... my first ebook !