HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Question Could someone help me? (Calling all South Dakota Novelists!!)

So here's the deal, I'm a student writer who is working on her Senior Project but I have a small dilemma. I cannot find anyone in South Dakota to be my mentor. To truly work on my senior project (which happens to be a fantasy novel) I am supposed to have a mentor to help me. Does anybody know ANYONE I can ask to be my mentor? If I don't find my mentor then I can't finish my Senior Project, and if I don't finish my Senior Project I can't graduate can anyone help me?

Question: Your school does not provide any assistance in locating these required mentors? They just send you out to locate one, standing under a lamppost somewhere? It seems so odd that your graduation would hinge on finding someone to help with your project, but your school won't begin by helping their students.

I guess part of the project must be to show that you can network. Is that it?

Are you allowed to ask another teacher to be your mentor? What qualifications is this mentor supposed to have?

I'm actually supposed to have two different mentors, one teacher to help keep me on track and then an outside mentor to help me with the details of the project itself. The mentor is supposed to be someone who works in that field or knows the subject well. And in answer to your question, yes I am supposed to show that I can network and things like that. There's three parts to my project, Product, Paper, and Presentation. The product is the book itself, the paper is the research paper that shows that I did my research on different elements of writing a book like publishing and what-not, the presentation is where I give a spiel about my project to a panel of judges.

Okay, so you have the teacher, right? And you're just seeking the "outside mentor."

Things that come to mind are: call your local library and ask them if any reading/writing groups meet there. Do the same thing if you have a book store in your area. There may be a reading group there. If so, get in touch with the organizer or just show up for a meeting and ask them.

Go into google, type in your city and state, and start putting in phrases that could get you in touch with writing groups in your area.

If you have a local newspaper, take a look at it. You may find a writer that appeals to you as a mentor. See who the editor is. An editor would be a good mentor for you as well. Contact them and ask. The worst thing they can say is no, so it's worth a try.

Craigslist comes to mind, but there are so many creeps on there, I'm not recommending it.

That's about as far as my brain can go this evening - I'm exhausted - but someone may come along with some other ideas.

I wish you the best.

Hi Kyleesha. I might be wrong, but it seems you're trying to find a novelist to help you. That might be a hard task lol. Why not an English instructor as your mentor? While they may not be well read in the YA genre, they should be qualified enough to help. Good Luck!!!