HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going too far?

Hybrid View

Going too far?

So, my stories, most of them, are all fit into the same universe, an alternate one to this one where there is (was) still an Earth, but it ended up different.
    Is it going too far when my freind and I come up with an alternate universe to the alternate universe?

I dont think so, as long as its written in a way thats clear and doesnt get confusing. Look at the 'His Dark Material' Triology as an example, it uses countless alternate universes and is one of the best stories I've ever read.

The correct answer to most of these "can I?" questions is: "Sure, if you can write well enough."

Ack, I misspelled friend. Oh well. But yeah, you're right. That series is pretty good. I wonder how many people write out their stories and then figure out a completely new storyline based on one change? Maybe a whole series could be done with the same characters, same world, just different outcomes. It bears thinking about...

Aver0n 2o11
    I don't think an alternative universe needs to be that different to our own reality to be considered alternative (again Springfield/Simpsons is a good example of a fully fleshed out alternative town). As long as your universe still obeys the laws of physics - and if they don't like sci-fi or magical universes that they have their own laws and limits as well. Your place needs to be populated, have its own rules and basically be a whole enough place that if you were to get another writer to write a new and original story set in the same universe that they wouldn't have too many questions that you can't answer. You just need to remember that stories end while worlds/universes live on past the story. You can't have a one day universe and think "maybe I'll set a story there today".