HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Hi Jeanne. I have no idea what to recommend. My suggestion is to try more than one agent in the CBA market to see if they all feel the same way. It probably depends on your slant and the execution. Contact one of the agents at the Steve Laube Agency, MacGregor Literary, Books and Such, or Alive Communications. Other agents you might want to consider are Donald Maass or Steven Axelrod, who are both general market agents.

Debby. Hi and welcome to WN. I'm a perfectionist and I could go on editing and making revisions until I die. Nothing is ever perfect, so how do you decide when your book is - for lack of a better term - good enough to send to your agent. Great thanks!!!

Hi Tinman! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Being a perfectionist is a tough thing. At some point, you have to let go of your "baby" and send it. Make sure it's as good as it can possibly be and something you'd purchase if you were a reader. That's what I do.

After my first book was published, I read it and found an error (after 2 rounds of edits - substantive and copy edits - AND proofreading) that drove me nuts. So my policy is to NOT read my books after they're published.

Thanks, Debby. What do you know about Nappaland? They have sales on P&E, but I haven't found a whole lot else out there about them.

Jeanne

Thanks - the links were great! I especially appreciated the information regarding the cover letter. In my mind, I had considered that the query letter and cover letter were one and the same!

Another hypothetical question for Tamela - I am confused though as to the process of submitting to you as an agent. The guidelines for the SL agency says to address it to Steve Laube "as it will cross his desk" - In practical terms, how do I then request YOU as my agent? Or does this mean that he may pass my submission to an agent of his choice? Does this mean that my chances of an agent expressing interest is better since it is going to the head honcho? I have often wondered when I read on reasons for rejections, when it is stated that the agent may simply not have time to take on another project why they don't then pass it on to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Debby Mayne View Post
    Hi Zoe! You can ask me anything.

What do you write?

I write an historical fiction
    I focus on North America before the "famous discovery", hoping that, when I break through, I'll have this unexplored-by-fiction niche all to myself

This is my second MS. I guess I've followed your advice, given earlier on that thread, by abandoning the first one (I wish I've had your advice back than, learning that the MS wasn't professional enough a hard way).
    I hope it won't happen with this second MS (but just in case I've began a research for the next one)

Thank you so much for asking and for all you are sharing here

Jeanne, I'd never heard of Nappaland until your question. I just went to their site, and I still don't know much.

Zoe, I hope you find a wonderful publishing home!

Diane, I've copied and sent your question to Tamela, but it's early, so it may be a while before she answers. Here's the email for submissions that go directly to her: ewilson@stevelaube.com.

I'll copy her answer here when she gets back with me.

Thank you!