HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Black holes

No, you're completely right, Allison. Fantasy and Science Fiction are both speculative genres, in many respects they're the same thing, if you take magic and other whimsical elements as simply a science that isn't understood.

Take a rising maverick theory, for example. Electric Universe proposes that we live in a universe governed by electricity and electric processes. It effectively turns the solar system we know and love, into an electrical system which feeds the sun externally with cosmic energy (rather than the current internal nuclear fusion theory) and backs its concepts up with some very solid facts. The magnetosphere is a magnetic field which blocks solar winds and other harmful radiation from hitting the Earth, but magnatism is an electric phenominon... such magnetic fields are seen throughout the cosmos, in the heart of nebulas, the exterior of stars, etc.

It's proposed that stars are made up of electrified plasma, and are a discharge of some sort. It's an intriguing theory, and I think it might work as the basis of some science fiction novel's jargin.

Emily- "It's going to be so sweet when the next Einstein is born and figures out all of this stuff."

Though I know no one has looked at this thread in a while, I do believe the next Einstein has been born. It's that kid (11 or 12yr old) that is setting out to disprove the "big bang" theory. I posted a link to his video in a different thread so I won't repost, but I believe this kid will do and prove/disprove many things.

Anyway, it was fun reading this thread.

Aver0n 2o11
    I don't know about sci-fi but I think physically in real life - being sucked into a blackhole means you're gonna die

I have heard the spagetti/string theory that on approaching a blackhole you get stretched out and you would get thinner and thinner and your speed I don't know if it gets faster or slower (one of the two) but you end up with always getting closer to the event horizon but never actually reaching it. I think time also slows down or freezes at the event horizon so you would be eternally suspended on the approach to the centre of the blackhole without ever getting there (and I might just add, all that stretching would probably kill you physically before you can look into the event horizon and see what's on the otherside.

I've heard of blackholes being a link to other prarallel universes but not as a time travelling device. The time travelling device would be a wormhole (I think) If you got a strong and powerful enough rocket/nuclear blaster or whatever it is they use in sci-fi that's strong enough to bend space, you could kind of drive a hole/tunnel through space-time and you could go into a different point in time. I think they also say something like you can connect blackholes or bend a blackhole in on itself and that also makes a wormhole (no idea really).

Since I just found this on the internet, I thought I'd share. And, I remembered that there was this post a while back. A black hole gobbling up a star.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_space_blackhole

Enjoy

I've heard many things about black holes; many of them are not good. Some are things that revolve around ideas like time and inter-dimensional travel, but much of it just sounds like a very gruesome way to die.

I say someone should develop a probe of some sort; maybe one that separates into two different ones. One part enters a black hole and relays information back to the other part, which then relays that information back to the command center. I'd like to know what would happen exactly when something enters.

lol, you should probably check the date of the last post in the thread before you add to it. This one was finished two years ago. Not that I object to discussions of unusual astronomical phenomena, but most of the people in this thread are long gone.

I'll just add that since black holes are very good at ripping stars apart into their component particles, a man-made probe is not likely to last more than a fraction of a microsecond as it nears the event horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    lol, you should probably check the date of the last post in the thread before you add to it. This one was finished two years ago. Not that I object to discussions of unusual astronomical phenomena, but most of the people in this thread are long gone.

I'll just add that since black holes are very good at ripping stars apart into their component particles, a man-made probe is not likely to last more than a fraction of a microsecond as it nears the event horizon.
    Pity, this seemed like a good and interesting discussion. Oh well (To both my uber lateness and black hole exploration idea).