HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I have a request for a partial!!! Arghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! (and a question :))

Ok, ok, I admit, I wanted to share this (does it show I'm a little excited? lol)

But I really wanted to ask something, and to thank you all for helping me with this QL process. I would never come even to a fairly passable QL without your help, and I've received MUCH of it!!!
    Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
    (I know, it's only a partial, but it's my first lol)

Secondly, the agent (one of the top ten off my list, that's why I'm so excited) asked for a three weeks exclusive for the first three chapters she wants to read. Is it an acceptable request?
    Also some of the agents wanted a first chapter along with QL at the first place. So, as it is, my first chapter is wandering out there anyway. Should I tell her this?

And, again, thank you all for your continuous help!
    and... arggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you have no idea how ridiculously excited I am

No idea?!?! Yes, I do!! Congratulations, Zoe. And, briefly, a three week exclusive is not an unreasonable request. Send it overnight! As far as telling her about the others, I don't believe there's any need right now unless and until you get a response from someone that he or she wants more. Then, you'll have to think about what you need to disclose to the next agent who has a request.

Cindy

Personally I think an exclusive on a partial, especially only 3 chapters, is a bit much. Many agents will read the entire ms during a 3-week exclusive. HOWEVER--!!! As she is one of your top 10, and it IS only three weeks (as opposed to 3 months) I say go for it. I wouldn't worry about the single chapter floating about here and there. If one of the agents asks to see more in the meantime, just wait till the 3 weeks are up and send it along to them as well (if the agent decides to pass, which I hope doesn't happen!). No point in running from one to another, trying to explain who has what and why they have to wait. GOOD LUCK, ZOOOEEEEEEEEE!!!

WOW!!!!! Fantastic!!!
    Three weeks, can be a really long time. Best to bury your head into another work and not come up for air until you hear back!!
    Good Luck Zoe!

Because this agent is in your top ten, give them what they want.

This means don't send out any more Qs until you hear back. And if another agent you've already Qd asks for a manuscript, you don't send it until the three weeks is up.

Congrats!

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    Crongratz Zoe. I hope you real her in!!

Thank you all for the warm responses!!!
    I was running around all day, chanting to myself "you got a request for a partial, you got a request for a partial", knowing that I can share it with no one outside WN, not to the full effect of this sentence

@ Cindy - THANX!!! LOL, Were you going about your usual business, squeaking with delight from time to time? Luckily I was alone this morning

@ Jena - THANX!!! You are right, and, anyway, I'm not in the position to bargain (the happiness is spilling over and she could have asked for three years this morning, when I got her email. She would get it right away lol).

@ Allott - THANX!!! lol, I chance to drown by the rate the agents were getting back at me through this month (this one stated in her site that she is getting back in a week or not at all, and just as I wrote her off my list, three weeks after sending her QL, she got back, almost a whole month later. Not that I'm complaining )

@ Leslee - THANX!!! You are a mind reader. An hour ago I remembered that I forgot to ask if an "exclusive" means no QLs either. Thanks. I don't mind a three weeks break, as the other 7 out of the top 10 weren't that that eager about my QL anyway, so the three weeks can serve another review of everything, including a new list of agents

@ Miranda - THANX!!! I'm with you on that one lol
    Last edited by Zoe Saadia; 05-12-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Congrats and good luck.

Thank you, Frank!!!

Zoe. Congratulations and Good Luck!!!