HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Planter, that's a beast. I'm sorry, and have battled with that one myself on more than one occasion. The annoying thing is that it's chronic and sometimes just pops up out of nowhere! It sounds like you've seen lots of people, so I apologize if I'm just reiterating everything you've been told in the past, but I'll throw in my two cents. Are you sure you're running in the right kind of shoes for your foot type? I'm going to go out and probably guess you're a pronator, so is your shoe giving you enough support and one that's labeled stability. Also, make sure that your shoes aren't just 'dead' and need to be replaced. This is tough because I know how expensive good shoes are but they need to be switched out regularly, every 300-500 miles. As for the blasted tendon, there are some exercises that you can try. Have you rolled your foot over the top of a tennis ball? Try to just gently massage it and hit all the spot between your heel and forefoot. I'd do this just when I'm at the computer or in front of the TV. After you run you can ice the area too and that has helped me. If you have access (though most of us don't, but if you have a phys therapist you see) to an ultrasound machine? That also helps.

I know how much it stinks not running your usual amount so I hope I can help...let me know how it goes! Congrats on your girls' group kicking but! As for me, I haven't raced for a really long time, but like to put in about 8 a day. I don't think I'd be up for a 50 miler! But I'd like to do a marathon at some point, though. That must have been a lot of fun buddy running, and even better that you got to cross the finish and snag that Snicker bar! I always tell people the best part of running is being able to eat whatever you want!

Thanks Caitlin.

I've done everything you suggested but the ultrasound. The shoe thing has been tough. Soucany changed the model I loved just slightly and now it doesn't for me. High arches. I've got good shoes, but have not found one to replace those. My PT didn't think ultrasound would help when I asked about it, but a couple of friends say it worked for them. With your suggestion, that makes three. It's time I just insist on on trying it.

Eating anything you want IS the best part about running! Six miles is my threshold. If I'm averaging less than that, I start putting on weight.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

Ahh, sorry I was mostly just an echo. But definitely get on that PT of yours about the ultrasound! I'm sure he's a great doc but it works...heck, it's been almost a year and it's not like you've got anything to lose! Worst case is it just does nothing but it won't hurt it any...good luck and hang in there.