HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks for some good advice , i must admit my gut feeling is to be myself, i feel there is still room for enhancement but within reason, example would be i wrote sentence and upon the third look i realized the word contained sounded much better than 'had' ......just little things that do not effect the flow or readability i guess

to be honest i do not think words will just jump into my speech patterns James but i do understand what you mean, i wonder if the writer is ever truly happy with a finished result ?

..... love to know your thoughts on this

regards
    VirtualBooks.Com.Au ...... seeking new authors to share their stories, experiences and inspirations

JackUgly.Com .... my first ebook !

Rod,

I have to disagree with the folks who recommend sticking to words you're familiar with. Part of the fun in writing is corralling new words. I'm not talking about words you don't know in their contexts, but words you don't use regularly. I've got a crush on word "sycophant" these says. It's not something I use in conversation or even read that often. I know how it's used and am looking for appropriate places to bring it into my own work, to make it part of the words I toss about. I've usually got a few of these words. This is part of the fun of writing, for me.

Didn't follow all the conversation about cheat sheets, but I keep what I can "verbal ticks" lists for each of my characters (even for my narrator). People tend to re-use words and phrases and a little of that in dialog adds dimension to characters and, as a bonus, readers can start to know who's talking with mucking up a conversation with too many attribution tags.

Just giving you a counter point. I suspect that each writer needs different approaches and at different times in their development. Go with what works for you, with what's fun and makes the story more layered.

I thought James was joking.

Rod - I see you used Sy Fy - bump that. lol

150000 seems like a huge word count for a first novel. I know that SF can run larger, but for a first timer, it seems rather large. I'm concerned that you might get rejected just for word count alone. I'd probably check the norm- and stick to the lower end. JMO

best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Avonne Writer View Post
    Rod - I see you used Sy Fy - bump that. lol

150000 seems like a huge word count for a first novel. I know that SF can run larger, but for a first timer, it seems rather large. I'm concerned that you might get rejected just for word count alone. I'd probably check the norm- and stick to the lower end. JMO

best of luck
    I think at this point i am aiming a self publishing, the amount of words is what it took for me to write the story, it was never intended to be an epic. I think much too early for me to worry about 'rejections' at this point. I feel there is quite a shift towards the ebook market and i have made a decision to venture down that road, to the point i just wrote a much smaller story so i could learn the formatting and to my surprise i got it right and was able to publish on smashwords

May never make me a fortune but quite a buzz to say "self published author"

Yes i am no rebel from now on it's SyFy all the way !
    VirtualBooks.Com.Au ...... seeking new authors to share their stories, experiences and inspirations

Rod- self publishing can make you huge $'s. It is possible. It's not only in the writing, it's also in the marketing. If you get a following (I've heard of at least one guy that struck it rich) it could be well worth it.

Before you do self publish, maybe you should give agents a shot at it. I've heard that SyFy is on the rise again.

Either way, I hope you're successful

Quote Originally Posted by Avonne Writer View Post
    Rod- self publishing can make you huge $'s. It is possible. It's not only in the writing, it's also in the marketing. If you get a following (I've heard of at least one guy that struck it rich) it could be well worth it.

Before you do self publish, maybe you should give agents a shot at it. I've heard that SyFy is on the rise again.

Either way, I hope you're successful

Thanks Avonne as a start I have set up jackugly.com (my learner ebook) and now i have swung back to TheHarlemCafe.Com which at some stage will be followed by NineBluePlanets.Com

I have also registered VampireHire.com as what will be a 'shopfront' for a series of Vampire Stories , I quite like the name and think it will help with marketing , further down the track I will even get a few t-shirts with "VampireHire.Com" white with read writing ........ fun to try !

Maybe i can refer the sites to the agents ?

I don't know of any cheat sheets. I would assume the writer would read novels in the SF area they are looking to get into to get an idea of the tech. wording, themes, and other stuff used in today's market.
    “Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”
    -Joseph Pulitzer