HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Createspace.com

Createspace.com

Does anyone have any experience with Createspace? I've had 3 books published by 'regular' (non self-publishing) publishers, but have one that would have a limited market, and therefore a limited number of publishers who may be interested. I've queried them, and have been told that the story is compelling, the characters complex, and the topic too hot to handle. So I may self-publish (although under a pseudonym). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Robert,

I swear I'd responded to you on this one the other day.

I did a booklet sort of thing through Createspace maybe a year and a half ago. My experience has been good. The process was easy and virtually free. I get a few bucks deposited into my bank account every so often without doing anything. I didn't go with any of the editing and marketing options, so I can't offer any help there, but the free POD service works for me. I don't do any marketing or anything as the booklet is simply an expansion of a seminar I do at writing workshops. For fiction, I imagine it may be harder for Amazon users to stumble upon your book.

Hope that's helpful.

CK - is the link to your stuff free? How do we find you there? (Not sure if that is rude since you didn't place the link - I won't be offended if you say bugger off)

Diane,

Thanks for your interest. I don't wish to post links to my work here. My POD booklet is not free. In fact, I charge as much as a full paperback. I really don't care if it sells. I just use the POD as a way to satisfy the folks who want written bits about my conference presentation without having to spend an afternoon printing and stapling the thing together. I've occasional given the title to folks I get to know here when I think my booklet's info would jibe with what they're working on.

I self published my book of poetry in October of 2010 with Createspace. Let's just say, you get what you pay for. I did not pay for any kind of package, therefore I did all of the marketing and advertising myself. I was less than impressed with the quality of the printing. Some books turned out flawless, others had weird coloration on the cover and there was visible glue on the binding. Don't be fooled by their "marketing package" because all they do is print out ads which you can do for a lot cheaper at Office Max. If you're motivated, you can me moderately successful.

I picked up a traditionally published book the other day and the binding pulled away from the pages, and the pages fell forward. I guess quality control is lousy no matter how you are published.

Flaws aside, Kyle, are you glad you went ahead and self-published? Are you enjoying having your poems available for people to read? Would you do it again - but with a different company?

Quote Originally Posted by leslee View Post
    I picked up a traditionally published book the other day and the binding pulled away from the pages, and the pages fell forward. I guess quality control is lousy no matter how you are published.

Flaws aside, Kyle, are you glad you went ahead and self-published? Are you enjoying having your poems available for people to read? Would you do it again - but with a different company?
    I'm considering doing it again. I have another collection of poems ready to go in about a month, so I may use Createspace again. I was just rejected by another publisher for my novel, so I may be self-publishing that as well. You definitely learn a lot by doing it yourself as far as marketing and creating your brand. The flaws may have been my mistake, as I used Photoshop for the cover art and I may have done something wrong with one of the steps. I don't know, but some had the flaws and others didn't. I am enjoying having my poems available to millions of people, but sales are....well, dead as of now. I may try Lulu next time.

As a birthday gift, my gf collected my first 130 columns (which had never appeared online) and had them printed and bound by Lulu. The result is a very attractive, 8 1/2 X 11 book which will no doubt appeal to my godmother and a couple of cousins. There's a pagination issue that needs correction but otherwise it looks pretty spiffy.

What lovely gift, Frank!

Beautiful!