HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    imported_Avatar

Sci fi and mystery

Are they a good mix? Is it something pubs go for?

Re: Sci fi and mystery

If you write it (well) - someone will buy.

I happen to enjoy mystery-type stuff set in fantasy or science fiction. My general feeling, though, is that the latter categories dominate, & mystery readers prefer "real world" context.

imported_Avatar

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated..

I have read a lot of Police mysteries set in the future. Asimovís Caves of Steel is a classic that uses murder mystery in a sci-fi setting . A good mystery almost always has some element of social commentary, Sci-fi and/or romance. Most good books in any genre can benefit from an element of mystery.
    Only the bean counters who want to determine what shelves the books go on (but rarely read them) sweat the genre. Historical fiction with heavy romance and mystery element are big today (try Elizabeth Peters). Write what grabs the readerís attention. Everyone loves a good mystery, whether the bad guy is a rouge robot, a sociopathic scientist or a 24th century pirate trying to retire to London society. How about a 22nd century pirate trying to retire to New York City, pursued for his ill-gotten gains by former shipmates and a determined Naval Officer who left the service under a cloud? Treasure Island meets Honor Harrington.

Chuck S.

Either that, Chuck, or he's being pursued by a mercenary admiral who's secretly a lieutenant in Imperial Security and a childhood friend of his emperor. Oh, wait, Lois McMaster Bjould might have something to say about that.

You can certainly write an SF novel with mystery elements, but make sure you don't neglect the SF elements. Falling in between genres makes it too easy for editors to reject you. I've broken down the process of finding your genre into a few easy steps here:

http://www.youcanwriteanovel.com/201...our-genre.html

and here:

http://www.youcanwriteanovel.com/201...asy-steps.html

Best of luck!