HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Just a Quick Question

Frank - Yeah, I know, that's why I want to go check it out for myself, so I can ask questions and learn the details. I just felt awkward calling up the coroner's office and going "Hey, can I touch a dead body?" I might have to do just that though.

So do it. You probably aren't the first person to ask.

Be sure you dress professionally and carry ID and by all means don't go down there with liquor on your breath.

As a firefighter for almost 20 years I have seen dead bodies. No two are the same and the ones worth writing about are always the extreme and not likely to be shared with a visitor to the coroners office. I studied fine art in university and took an anatomy course where we went to visit the medical students cadavers, no one touched or were invited to touch a body. One student had to leave, be prepared mentally, I can't imagine how.
    I am labouring over an extreme example in my work that I will probably never be able to share as I would like to. Very difficult subject matter.
    Good luck.

Kelsea, I've been unfortunate enough to have attended many funerals. Dead bodies are cold. When you touch them there isn't any "give" to dead flesh like there is in living bodies - for me it feels similar to the firmness of still-maleable terra cotta clay.

But if you're wanting to know how a many-days-dead-and-unprepared body would feel, that I don't have the answer to.