HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Novel or Screenplay?

Film is visual, of course.

But often in a screenplay there are few "visual' cues - they are left to the director and photographer. The screenplay brings storyline, character, movement - the arc of the story. They frequently are not what you'd call a "good read." What I love about the screenplay of A Beautiful Mind is the quality of the writing. Each word chosen for maximum meaning, the descriptions are vivid, and character is established even for a reader who has not read the original book.

I could go on (and many have, if you check the internet for reviews of the screenplay, not the film), but either you'll see it or you won't. Like every other form of art, it's in the eye of the beholder.

I have been reading it for the last hour. You're right, good stuff. Thanks again, I'm getting re-inspired to go the screenplay route. Maybe I'll enter some competitions; try my hand at some 10 to 15 page things to get my feet wet.
    Talk to ya later.
    Andy

Liza B.

Andy,

Check out the Done Deal screenwriting forum. Great forum for screenwriting help and info:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/

Thanks Liza, I'll do that tonight after work, thanks.
    Andy

Write the novel. It will stand a better chance of being turned into a screenply.

Andy Hitch Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > I have read a few, plan to read more. I have toyed
    > with writing a screenplay. I have Movie Magic so
    > I'll be writing in that. I do understand the
    > format and what is expected.

Screenwriting is not about format, it's about craft. Having Movie Magic does nothing but put the different elements of a screenplay (description, dialogue, character name, etc.) in the right place on the page with the proper parameters.

Screenwriting requires that you tell the story in a different way than you would if you were writing the story in prose. It's a much more brief and visual form of storytelling - screenplays can't just be good stories, they have to make good movies. They need to be a good read, but also work as a blueprint for a film.

Reading scripts is a good idea, but you will probably need other resources - classes, books, etc. to understand the craft well enough to execute well.

Screenwriting is not about format, it's about craft.

That's true, of course. It has to be well written to succeed.

But if you don't have the format, nobody will read your beautifully crafted screenplay - especially if you're a beginner. It at least has to look like you know what you're doing on that level.

If certainly can be done without a screenwriting package. I mean, obviously, you just type the thing out. We all started that way back in the day of typewriters.

I sort of miss typewriters, but not when I'm working on a screenplay!

@ leslee

Too many wannabe screenwriters think that if they can format a script, they can write one.

Formatting is like so basic it doesn't even count when you are evaluating a screenplay - I mean if you open a screenplay and it's formatted incorrectly it's a sign that the writer has no idea what he's doing, but if it's formatted correctly there's still a chance that the writer has no idea what he's doing.

Uh . . . yeah. Of course. I never said formatting could replace quality writing, and you know I don't think that. Neither does Andy.

It's not just quality writing, it's quality SCREENwriting. Which is a unique form of storytelling. Just because you can write a novel or play doesn't mean you can write a screenplay.

That was my point from the beginning - the craft of screenwriting is it's own separate animal and reading scripts alone is usually not enough to educate someone about the craft to the point where they can be competent at it. Even if they've written stories in other media previously.