HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Novel or Screenplay?

I'm not just looking at the money, I'm looking at the whole picture, and selling it is part of the process. Thank you so much for advice. I was in the music business for years, I know enough about the entertainment business to know how crazy and trendy it can be. Between what you said and Jena's comment, I know what I must do now. I'll write the book so I have something to show for it, whether it goes anywhere or not. Afterward, I'll write the screenplay.
    Thanks again, your help has been invaluable.
    Andy

At least when you sell a book, you know you're going to end up with a book.

Not entirely true, Jena. If that's your experience, I'm very happy for you.

You can sell your book and it's never published. Yes, it does happen.
    You can sell your book, it's published, and the publisher puts no promotion into it, so nobody knows about it, nobody buys it, and it's remaindered in record time.
    You can sell your book, it's published, is reviewed badly and nobody wants to know you for the next book.

It's always on the line for an artist. Any artist. You may succeed, you may fail. And then again, success can be failure and failure can become success. Nothing is for certain. Which is probably part of the art.

You're welcome, Andy. Happy to help.

Perhaps Simon will be along later with something to add. She's a screenwriter as well.

>>And then again, success can be failure and failure can become success.

Once I scrape the mayo, butter, and provolone cheese from my arteries, I'll give that some deeper thought.

You still haven't given me the total description of your tuna melt experience, Missy. And I really want to know.

"Well, I took the mayonnaise out of the refrigerator, and then . . ."

OK. I will start a new thread.

Oh, Andy, there is one more thing I wanted to tell you.

Before you start a screenplay, if you ever decide to write one, please get yourself a copy of Akiva Goldsman's screenplay for A Beautiful Mind.

125 pages of the most beautiful screenwriting. It's a pleasure to read.

Thanks Leslee, I'll get a copy of that asap. Great movie by the way.
    Thanks again..............

It is a great movie. And you'll see why. Akiva Goldsman has had a remarkable career. If you check him out on IMDB, you'll see. And he could have written anything - this was in the bag for him. But that screenplay is so lovely, poetic, uncluttered and inspiring. I was very impressed.

Remember that a movie doesn't always match the script. Rewrites happen on the set. Directors go in different directions. I once sat with the film Forrest Gump on the tv and the screenplay Forrest Gump in my hands to see how different they were. It was fascinating.

I found a free copy at mediafire.com. I downloaded it and am reading it now. So far so good..........I have alot to learn yet. For me, I'm a visual person by nature. I think this is what drives me toward screenplays.