HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Aver0n 2o11

Writers Festivals

Where are they? When are they? Do they cost? What are the lectures like? Is there a lot of self-advertisements by randoms saying - "you'll make it big by following me, now go buy my book"? Who's been? If you have, how useful was it?

I know a lot of major cities do have one annually, and I was thinking of going along to one, considering I'm trying to break into the writing profession, you might be surprised to hear that I've never been to one. I have however been to a writer's tent at an unrelated local festival in the park sort of thing - I found the speaker unimpressive and most boastful of herself. So how goes the speeches on the bigger scale of an actual writer's festival? Are they more helpful rather than boastful?

Re: Writers Festivals

Averon, I think you're talking about gatherings more commonly called "writers' workshops." I've never been to one but have heard positives and negatives from those who have. If you don't get much feedback from folks here, remember Google is your friend. And check out Preditors & Editors and Writer Beware. Their sites may well tout the good ones and warn about the iffy ones.

We have a local university (Carleton U - Ottawa, Canada) that offer public attendance when they invite speakers - I went to one but the author spoke with a nasal accent that was just too hard for me to follow. In fact, I tried to read one of her books but just could not get her voice out of my head. Not that this is of any relevance - but wanted to share the possibility of an event type. B)

Great resource: Shaw Guides

That's a good one, Jena. How about re-posting it in the stickied thread so it doesn't get buried?

What stickied thread?

The one above that I started: Valuable Writing-Related Sites. It's got a little bell icon to the left of the title. (Looks like a bell to me, anyway.)

Done! Thanks, Frank.