HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    S Allen

building metaphor

Hi, I'm a new writer and recently submitted two personal essays that the editor is considering with some needed revision. In both cases he said I need to make the piece stronger by building metaphor and that both have strong metaphorical possiblities. What does this mean? I understand metaphor in a simple sense, but when I think about doing this I automatically think of building symbolism or theme and I don't think this is correct. Any suggestions? Resources? Thanks!

Re: building metaphor

I think we need more specifics about your essays to help...

John is right that it's hard to say without knowing more about the essays.

But just guessing, perhaps the editor wants you to include well known examples so that what you are presenting is more easily understood by the reader. Maybe what you've got is hard to relate to without that added element.

Ugh. I hate to have to think when I'm writing.

Well, a metaphor is a comparison of two things that have similar characteristics. It sounds as though he wants you to reach deeper into the meaning of your topic, pulling up comparisons that will allow the reader to understand its complexity. Symbolism and theme are English literature terms. You need to be thinking like a writer.

Without seeing your work, it's impossible to know what metaphorical potential the editor saw. However, here is a little exercise to help you think metaphorically. How is an onion like a rose?

They both are plants.

They both have a strong scent.

They both are shaped in layers.

They come in multiple colors.

They are edible.

Look for the imagery/comparisions embedded in your ideas. How is XX like XX? How can that comparison help the reader understand the concept or relate to the meaning?

Hope that helps.

Jeanne

I'd ask the editor for an example of what he means. (And if by chance his answer makes an allusion to a specific editing service, I'd remove my pieces from consideration and submit elsewhere.)