HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Another of my poems - sorry no rhyme!

OK, I get a bit annoyed that so many think you need to rhyme to have rhythm. So I’ve added another of my poems. This one is a bright and happy one. Most of my writing is quite dark but a friend from the UK challenged me to write something ‘happy’ so I did – I wrote this just over 2 years ago – and no it does not rhyme.
    I will add, it is not one of my fav's but my neice and nephews love it - likely because they are mentioned! lol

Autumn Child
    Looking back on memories past;
    Ones collected from feelings and snapshots and moments in time,
    Recalling memories that remain close to my heart.

My thoughts are filled with long Autumn days,
    Of magical foggy, misty morns sliding with my friends on crystal grass,

With Blackie the cat stretched out on the old wooden bench, drenched in the sunlight, purring.

When the dawns green carpet crackled under the stomp of water proved feet,

And laughter and warmth were all around,

Collecting mushrooms in the chilled, foggy morn, to add to the big Sunday breakfast feast where we’d all sit together, and laugh and joke and talk and eat.

Bee’s collecting the last of the flowers nectar before the silence that Winter brings,

Us, blowing warm air from deep within our lungs, laughing while making our own “smoke” into the cold around us,

Stuffing late season plums and rosehips in big cane baskets, paying no attention to the thorns,

Bottles of preserved fruits and prickled peppers lining the pantry shelves,

The sweet smell of caramelized sugar and fruits bubbling on the stove,

Waiting to be devoured on cold Winter days, spread on scones or fresh baked bread, by greedy little elves.

These are my memories of Autumn as a child growing up; with three brothers, cats, dogs, and all kind of fowl,

The sad, the bad and the ugly, although I’m sure were there too, have drifted away like chimney smoke into the stillness of the night,

These memories float back as the days get shorter, the night’s cooler,

Memories; triggered by the smell of hot jam or the stillness of night broken by a distant hooting owl,

When I reminisce, these are the most valued and most dear,

I often long to be that child again, when the world was safe and funny and warm and the nights were for playing games and slumber parties and sleep-over’s,

I share as much as I can now, as a woman all grown, with my nephews and niece,

For one day when they are too are separated by time, by work, by distance, each can recall such magic; to feel safe, to feel loved, to feel truly happy
    if the wine is sour – throw it out

SatyricalRaven

martin shaw

Re: Another of my poems - sorry no rhyme!

Good piece.

I know capitol letters are OK for some poets, but to me they cause a blip. I like to concentrate on the poem, rather than sentences that stop momentum.

Yeah Martin,

I know what you mean. But I have to confess caps is a 'thing' with me. I think it stems from caps being used differently in different languages and some things just 'stick' no matter what. (English is not the language I was born to nor is it the only language I speak/read/write)

I understand about caps not worknig for some. For me though, they make me feel comfortable (I'm wierd I know!).

SatyricalRaven

Aver0n 2o11

So are you German? I think German is the language where all the nouns are capitalised. Or it could be Dutch. Don't really know enough about it. I'm happy the rules for caps are much simpler in English - I think...

I like the nostalgia. It makes me feel older than I am that I can relate to the idea of nostalgia. Children just happily look forward to tomorrow They don't look back nearly as much as adults do.

Hi Averon,

I'm Croatian. I was born in Croatia and speak, read and write fluent Croatian as well as English. Additionally, I studied German. I also lived for a short while in Germany and recently lived in France. (My French is much better than my German)

Croatian grammar is almost identical to Latin and French and German grammar/rules are totally different to English.

Now add to that Australian/English grammar/rules are every day becoming more distant from American English, is it any wonder I get confused! lol.

Personally, I believe that within 100 years USA and UK English will likely be as different to each other as modern and Olde Worlde English is today.

And yes you are completely right. As children we do not think of the past, only the future. But as adults, if those memories are lacking, I think, we feel as though we have missed something.

No-ones life (child or adult) is ideal but it is the memories and relationships we have to draw on which help us get through the hardships of life. Well, at least this is how it is for me

SatyricalRaven