HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 1st time query (please help)

Zoe. Thanks. Leading with Loving pets have turned seems to be the general opinion, and truthfully I originally stated with it. These things can drive you crazy lol. Anyway, thanks again and good luck!!!

Good luck to you too (tu)

I'm already over the brink with this QL issue

(btw, I liked the setting and I enjoyed the excerpt you posted! This is a story I'd definitely read)
    Pre-Columbian North America

http://blog.zoesaadia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman
    Crap is always easiest to detect when you come at it fresh lol
    Thanks. I was looking for the right metaphor to explain how putting a book aside for a while allows you to come back and detect all sorts of problems that previously flew under your radar. That's it: it's like working in a barn. You're fine while you're working there, but if you leave for a while and then come back, you're like, "Whoa, smell that horse ****."

Zoe. Thanks. If you really want to read it, just send me $12.95 and your credit card info (for shipping information only), and I'll ship it right out lol. Of course, I'm kidding. But thanks.

Now that I'm rewriting the QL, I'm actually having fun with it, trying different voices. I think the biggest problem with my query was that I forgot it's mainly a horror story. I tried to touch too many of the characters involved in subplots and veered away from the horror aspect. A QL can be stripped too bare and not show the voice of your story; I was trying to avoid that, and ended up with a mess lol
    One of the reasons some of us have so much trouble (imo) is because we KNOW the story.

Anyway, I'm happy for you and hope to be reading about you soon. Good luck...Tinman

lol@John. It's funny, cause I was thinking of just that sort of crap when I wrote it. But I think your analogy captured the true essence of the odor much better lol. Good Luck!!!

lol. For the first timer I think we can settle for 8.99, paperback, shipping on you <cough-I live overseas-cough>

and i dooooooooooooooo relate to every word you wrote in your second paragraph!!! (except for having fun, I don't)

and I think I've used the expression "over the brink" somehow wrongly. I was trying to say this QL issue already drove me crazy. So nothing to be congratulated about lol
    Pre-Columbian North America

http://blog.zoesaadia.com/

One of the reasons some of us have so much trouble (imo) is because we KNOW the story. I am in agreement with you. Every plot within a plot is important.. every character so invested in.. Now having to summarise it in such a way that it shows your style, hooks the agent, and tells the story. and is grammatically well. and .. and.. yikes. B)