HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Editing

Editing

Just a comment that occurs to me while I've been editing a long novel. It seems, unless I start a scene with dialogue, that I invariably delete the first few sentences or paragraphs lol. I just wondered if some of you find the same thing happening. Good Luck

Re: Editing

Tinman,

[s]I can't say that I've experienced that phenomenon. Of course, getting into dialogue quick is a good way to make sure the scene is moving, but other action would work as well. I suppose it all comes down to the old aphorism:[/s]

"Brevity is the soul of wit."

JH

lol@John

A tip I was given a while back was to read a whole chapter, go away and do something else for a while - mow the lawn or whatever - then come back and rewrite the chapter. The idea is that only the salient points will stick in your mind, so the chapter should end up a lot shorter.

I have tried this with only moderate success. I kept looking back at the original chapter and going, ''Oh, I like that bit. I want to keep it,'' thus completely negating the point of the exercise!

Perhaps you are of sterner stuff?

My habit over the years when actively submitting material, was to review the previous day's work and make any tweaks that seemed necessary and then carry on with that day's work. Depending on the project, I'd review the whole thing every couple days or sometimes every month. And then, of course, once you're "done" -- the real work of editing begins. I like to take a couple-few days off at this point and either do nothing, just let the whole thing simmer in my subconscious, or work on other stuff.

By the way, I just realized I've been pecking at my current WIP for nearly three years, am about 60K words in (I said I was pecking!) and I haven't read the whole thing through. Ever. I have zero recollection of the first couple-three chapters.

Old writers never die. But they can get a tad lazy.

Aver0n 2o11

Nope, not always finding myself with dialogue. I seem to always find myself with a marker of time or location. By evening, the rain had subsided... blah blah blah. Don found himself near an old statue... blah blah blah. Probably I'm just watching too many TV shows and using a written equivalent of an establishing shot

Bella. Good idea, but it probably wouldn't work for me. I'd come back after a day and write two new starting sentences just as bad as the first two lol

Now, when you mention it, I notice that I really either delete or rephrase most of the opening sentences of each chapter with every new re-read.
    And none of my chapters begins with a dialog. Damn nuisance :-D
    Pre-Columbian North America

http://blog.zoesaadia.com/

Pre-Columbian North America

http://blog.zoesaadia.com/

Admittedly new at this, I have written short stories and begun an important scene in every possible way. Working on a first book, with 5 chapters done, it seems the majority of scenes are started with dialogue. I am comfortable with that but will now examine the reason for this phenomenon (thx JH) reoccurring with out my being aware of it. Interesting.