HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My first book.

imported_Rhys McMillin

My first book.

Well.. I've got what I believe to be a wonderful idea for a book. And I really don't know how to go about writing any of it. I figured I'd ask here.
    So, uh.. What do I do? Haha. Thank you for whatever help you can give me. I sincerely appreciate it.

Re: My first book.

Just start.

I m not trying to be clever here but unless you start hitting that keyboard nothing will happen.
    And no-one can help you as writing is unique to each person. How they form characters, prepare, keep track of information/details, revise etc.

If you really don't know where to start I would suggest listing/writing your idea down and your characters and then take a good hard look at what you have written. Now decide if there's enough in that to warrant 18-36 months of work and will that work produce something worth reading.
    if the wine is sour throw it out

SatyricalRaven

I don't know how old you are, but if you've never taken a writing class, you might start there. If you're in school, they probably offer creative writing. And if you are older than that, there are writing classes available at night at many high schools.

The best way to learn to write is to write.

Start at the beginning.

And if you're not willing to go the writing class route yet, then just put down what you got. It'll unravel from there.

I did take one creative writing class in college. It was the first time anyone told me I could write.

martin shaw

If you can write; you can write, right?

Sit down and tap,
    tap in to your brain.

There is a key, it's called, i'minaroomallbymyselfwastingmylifehopingtobesometh ingbuti'mnotwellmaybeiamweshallsee?

Shaun .

Coming from a noob!

I'm currently working on my first attempt at a novel. I remember being in your shoes quite well. I started with an 18 chapter outline. Just simple descriptions of what to cover for each chapter. From there, I started writing a scene mulled over numerous times in my head; a dreamworld which ended up being the middle of chapter 3. Whenever I got stuck, I'd double back to my start and think how did it get to this point. Eventually everything will start falling into place. Just start writing, even if it's not the beginning.

Hope this helps

Hi
    The only way to write, is to write.

Sit down and start typing, or jot notes in a book.( I hate the notebook thing and prefer to work straight into the computer.)

Put down anything that comes into your head and don't bother about sorting it: a man, a car crash, man dazed, car mangled in tree, passenger missing! his wife was the passenger, man screaming, man collapses and wakes in hospital, no sign of passenger, man told he was never married...

Then go through it again and add bits: a car crash - describe the scene, have a look at crash pictures on Google, imagine how you'd feel, deal with the five senses, feel, taste, sound, touch, smell. Scene by scene, bit by bit, it will grow.

I liken it to building your own jigsaw puzzle, without knowing when you start what exactly the picture's going to be.

Using this principle I wrote a 230,000 word novel! Too damn big, obviously, but one day I might split it into a trilogy. Ha!

Remember, ''Great oaks from little acorns grow.''