HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Valuable Writing-Related Sites

Writing-related sites abound on the net. Some are reliable sources of information. Many aren't. There are a few with which every writer who seeks publication should be familiar. The following can be trusted to provide sound (if not always infallible) information from industry pros.

Writer Beware: Victoria Strauss and Ann Crispin are tireless advocates for writers' rights. The website offers a wealth of information for newbies and experienced writers alike. See also the Writer Beware Blog.

Agent Query: Offers tons of information about how best to approach the industry's gatekeepers.

Preditors & Editors: A solid site with a wealth of information about the business, includes recommendations of various agents, publishers etc.

Some sites are just plain useful for writers. Here's a few I've used over the years.

Duotrope: Provides a free, frequently-updated listing of fiction and poetry markets.

ABYZ News Links: If you're interested in sending material for newpapers or other news media, there are links here to publications all over the world.

Internet Resources: Although it contains a few dead links, there is still lots of interesting stuff for writers to explore here.

Infoplease: Valuable site for researching various topics.

Librarians' Index to the Internet: Now you know what they're whispering about. Nobody does research like a librarian and now you can have one at your virtual fingertips.

Encyclopedia Mythica: Want the straight dope on gods, monsters and myths? Here be the place.

Virtual Salt: I'm pretty sure you can get from here to anywhere on the net via Virtual Salt. Just scroll and click. Information awaits.

*Edited by Mod: Needed to make the post a sticky*

Aver0n 2o11

Re: Valuable Writing-Related Sites

Frank, if we could mine your wonderful memory of all the dos and donts we'd have a beautiful treasure trove full of stuff. Love the links (tu)

Frank - these are great resources! I have found the Librarians Index to be especially helpful for researching nonfiction

I'm happy to share them and hope lots of folks find them useful.

I can't help but get a little wistful though, when I remember freelancing in the 70s and 80s. Research is such a snap today with all these wonderful collections of information available without leaving your desk. I remember long bus rides to the library and hours taking notes (in longhand!) then typing the suckers up later, rasslin' with whiteout and erasers and re-typing and finally snail-mailing the piece.

I certainly consider myself lucky to live and write during these wondrous times.

Thanks for these Frank!
    “Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”
    -Joseph Pulitzer

martin shaw

I'll bet your handwriting is is bloody brilliant. My dad was a journalist; his was somehting else

Martin, it was pretty decent. Emphasis on the past tense. It's an occupational hazard of a lifetime of fishing: I don't have too many functioning tendons or ligaments in my forearms and right elbow. Holding a pen or pencil is uncomfortable and my handwriting has gone all to hell.

Was gonna explain that on the book jacket but realized you wouldn't be able to decipher the scrawl.

Try some daily physical therapy and occupational therapy on affected areas, and also beef-up on foods high in calcium. When people have occupations or hobbies that put too much pressure on fingers or hands, it is always wise to engage in recovery exercises to prevent osteoarthritis and related diseases.

Bump.

I don't think newbies are seeing older posts.