HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: I really don't understand the agent process

Hello Raven, Thank you for your insight. I really have not forgotten the supply and demand issue. I am well aware that the wannabe's Vs agent ratio is very high. I am also well aware that there are a limited number of publishing houses out there and if they were to print every book that walked in the door, we would be treeless. I am commenting on the process.

Say you are the producer of a play and need to cast it. You hold open auditions and the streets are lined with wannabe actors. You have a limited number of parts and more people auditioning. There is your supply and demand. But, it is not the actors who are going to pay the producer for the privilege of acting in the play.

In the entertainment industry and pro-sports people hire agents to represent them. But unless you are William Morris or Scott Boras, the agents are always looking for new talent. Theatrical agents attend community group productions looking for the next Cary Grant or Kate Hepburn while sport agents go to college and high school games in hopes of finding the next Joe Montana or Hank Aaron. There are a limited number of these agents as well, but by them actively looking for the "fresh face", they stay in business.

As I wrote in an earlier post, I am just beginning this process. My first book was published by a division of Amazon and distributed thru their network of on-line retailers and also in independent book stores. It was very well received and the feed back from people who read it, urged me to write another. I thought finding an agent might help me in getting my work a wider distribution. To this point my writing background has always been for broadcast, which operates much differently. My business agent came to me. This process of sending out a barrage of one page letters to perspective agents in hopes that one might actually read it and respond, is new to me. From an outsiders point of view, the process is bass ackwards. To those who have endured it, and caught someone's attention, I can see where my not understanding the process is foreign. I thank you all for your input. The optimist in me still hopes that process may get easier.

And Raven, my friend, I would not always throw out the sour wine. Sometimes if you add a little oil it can make a wonderful salad dressing. Just saying.

"But, it is not the actors who are going to pay the producer for the privilege of acting in the play. "

The agent is not the producer. The publisher is the producer--and no, you don't pay them, either.

Hi Jena, I know that the agent is not the producer (just taking a literary liberty). It is not the producers who actually audition the actors. It is the casting director or the director him/herself. And the actors don't pay them either. Thanks again.

It is not the producers who actually audition the actors.

There are exceptions. I personally know two producers who audition the actors.

My first book was published by a division of Amazon and distributed thru their network of on-line retailers and also in independent book stores.

A division of Amazon? CreateSpace?

Leslee: There are always exceptions. I have been in this business for over 30 years and the norm is that the producers don't audition, the directors or casting directors do. In the same way that there are exceptions in the publishing industry. I am sure that at some point, some author sent a manuscript directly to a publisher, who happened to take the time to read it, liked it and put it in print. Not the norm, but the exception.

I don't know if you have been published or not. I don't know if you have found an agent or not. Jena wrote me that it took her two years to find an agent (and she is happy with the result). Assume for the moment, that you are a person with a passion for writing. You know that your stuff is good. People have told you that your work is better than half the volumes now gathering dust on store bookshelves. But you have a filing cabinet full of manuscripts because you can't get an agent to give you the time of day. How discouraged are you going to get? As I have said many times, I know that I am not going to change the system. From someone looking in from outside the box, it just appears that the system does very little to encourage new authors and more to dissuade them. As a general rule, people will bang their head against the wall until the headache forces them to stop. But as noted above, there are alway exceptions: the masoquist will keep banging because they get off on the pain.
    Thanks again.

"...People have told you that your work is better than half the volumes now gathering dust on store bookshelves...."

If I had a nickel....

I don't know what you're talking about. Honestly, you don't make a lot of sense to me. But that's just me.

I notice you didn't respond to my question. Did you self-publish your first book with CreateSpace?

It looks to be self published. If this is the Robert Alls on Amazon, through BookSurge (didn't look hard, but they may be Createspace, now) Book i found was, The Committee.

Thank you, Avonne.

Hi Frank, You better up that to a dime or even a quarter. You know account for inflation and the devaluation of the dollar on world currencies.