HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Michael Gibson

Agent/Publisher needed

I haven't been on this site in a while so I hope I am in the right forum. I am in need of an agent and publisher and need to know the best method to find them. I currently have completed short stories and am working on a book which is a collection of short stories. My genre is horror. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Agent/Publisher needed

You're not going to like my suggestion.

As far as I know, short story collections are almost NEVER taken on by an agent, especially if the writer is a debut writer. I would suggest that you work on getting them published in anthologies looking for horror. One great sight for finding paying markets that you can submit to is duotrope.

Maybe someone will have an idea for you about a route that you could take to try to publish your collection as a whole but the only short story collections by one author are very well-known, like King, or ones that have many beloved short stories published individually, like H.P. Lovecraft.

I hope this helps.

I agree with Kate. From everything that i've read, most agency sites list work they are not interested in and short stories are ALWAYS listed.

A suggestion might be to grow one of your stories to novel length, or get recognition by winning writing contests (but, that would be a long process).

If you stick with the short stories, IMO you have a hard/harder road ahead.

Best of luck.

Michael,

The best place to start is your own bookshelf. Track down the agents who represented the recently published s.s. collections you love and research them thoroughly. (Agents are often named in the acknowledgment pages.)

S.S. collections are a tough sell so you'll have to be brilliant. Also make sure you've published a couple of your stories in lit journals. S.S. writers without cred in the journals...well,.they may as well be poets.

Michael Gibson

Thank you. That's very helpful.

Michael Gibson

Interesting you should say that. I actually pared a couple of stories down from novel length ideas to specifically fit them into the short story category.