HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: novels

novels

Hello to everyone. There hasn't been much activity in this forum, so I thought I'd try to create a little interest by discussing favorite authors and books. I love horror stories, so of course Stephen King is on my list, but it's his early novels and short stories I'm interested in. I also love F. Paul Wilson's writing. His Repairman Jack series is great. Also Midnight Mass. Some of his short stories are classics and hold up better than Richard Matheson's. I love THEY THIRST by Robert R McCammon - - it's the best modern vampire novel ever written, plus his writing is damn good. Good Luck.

Re: novels

If you like horror, you should read the masters: Poe and Lovecraft.

I've read Poe. I could never get into Lovecraftian horror. Stephen King wrote a Lovecraftian short story called Crouch End I think, but I didn't like that either. Just not my thing. But thanks for the suggestions.

I forgot to mention Laurel K Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Great series, but sometimes there's too much sex lol.

People who want to be writers shouldn't read just one type of fiction, so of course I've read others. Loved Water For Elephants

I'm a fantasy fan myself. Favorite authors include: Terry Brooks, Tad Williams, and recently Brent Weeks.

I'm a Tad Williams fan too. Used to enjoy Robin Hobb as well, but her last series really disappointed.

. Castleman
    I'm a King fan too. I wonder if his 11/23/63 novel will be vintage King or will it be a "contract" filler? Agree with the Poe reference.

For a high level creep factor, read some Thomas Tryon. He died rather young--car accident, I think--but wrote two great horror books: The Other and Harvest Home. Of the two, I think The Other is his best. I remember reading it straight through in one night.

Jeanne

I actually haven't read much in the way of horror (yet), but for science fiction/fantasy I suggest Anne McCaffrey or Piers Anthony.

Pratchett. Terry Pratchett. If you really want to read some great fantasy, you need to investigate the Discworld series. It really does take place on a flat world resting on the backs of four elephants who are riding on the back of great A'Tuin, a huge turtle swimming through space.

Tinman-only because you mentioned Vampires. Though it is technically is the YA section (can't for the life of me figure out why) you might be interested in Thirst, Thirst II, and Thirst III by Christopher Pike. It's unlike any other Vampire novel you'll ever read. He talks at length about Krishna, gets into the Messiah, and touches on Aliens even. Give it a go, you'll be hooked after page one (I swear).