HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yikes, sorry! I was laughing too much to concentrate on the details.

I have to say, Joe, my eyes kept turning your name into "Zoe Jeff" the first few times I read it - two more familiar words. The human brain, as it turns out, doesn't pay much attention to the ordering of letters in words, and will often look for the most common words it can make out of the letters (why humans make such good spell-checking guessers). Since Jeff is more common that Zeff (which I've never seen before, and it's super cool), I think our brains are tricking us. To illustrate:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.The
    phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mind. Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde
    Uinervtisy, it deson't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt
    tihng is the frist and lsat ltter be in the rghit pclae.
    The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm .
    Tihs is bcusease the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a
    wlohe.

lol
    Good point, Emily!

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.The
    phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mind. Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde
    Uinervtisy, it deson't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt
    tihng is the frist and lsat ltter soluhd be "lteetr" or "lteter" be in the rghit pclae.
    The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm .
    Tihs is bcusease the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a
    wlohe.

At least she didn't call you Zoe. (:

Like me, Joe has been posting on WN for eons, and nobody ever had trouble reading his name.

How tough is it to read J-o-e? Not very.

Maybe the problem is the dinky type in this new program. I'm going blind looking at it.
    Last edited by leslee; 05-02-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Leslee, I have very bad vision, right now, and I've never had trouble with the small type here because I set my default size to something I find reasonably easy to read. Also, if you're using Firefox, Ctrl-+ will increase the point size for the current page if needed. Not sure what works in IE, but it shouldn't be hard to find out.

(I say "right now" because I had the cataract in my right eye removed on April 20. I just got a call this morning that there's been a cancellation and I'll be getting the other one removed on Monday, May 9th.)

Senior Member Miranda Clementine's Avatar
    Joe- Were you really angry at Diane for making a simple mistake? Or were venting about it happening more and more lately? I thought it was the latter, but if it's the former, geez, she said you made her laugh so hard that she didn't take care to double check your name... it happens, she wasn't purposely being rude. (: Good luck with the eye surgery! I hate getting anything done with my eyes.

I've never had trouble with the small type here because I set my default size to something I find reasonably easy to read.

Joe, are you saying that I can change the default size in this new system? Remember, I'm completely ignorant about computer stuff. I don't have Firefox, so that isn't automatically happening for me.

Interesting about your eye surgery. How was your experience? Has your vision improved in the eye that was already operated on? Do you perceive changes that quickly or is there an extended healing period?