HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Semicolons

Aver0n 2o11

Semicolons

So who else gets told off for getting it wrong? Just kidding, I'm out of school and haven't had anyone critiquing my grammar in ages. Still get confused about them semicolons at times. I've been told that they are half way between a comma and a full stop so if you can figure out what is half way between those two things it should work for you right? right? ...;

Re: Semicolons

Averon,

There's basically three ways to slip semicolons into your work. (Unlike most other forms of punctuation, you can write volumes and never use a semicolon.) But let's admit it, semicolons look really cool on the page.

Way One -- cute and inspiring digital faces

This has, arguably, become the most frequent use of the semicolon. A warning though, this is an advanced writing technique and should only be employed after years of sharpening skills with the other keyboard elements that make faces. I'm unable to give an example as my skill level only allows for this: )0( , which isn't even a face.

Way Two -- ditching conjunctions

Sometimes a writer gets tired of using and and but to form compound sentences, and he searches for an alternative. Sometimes a compound sentence just gets heavy with b sounds and ands.

Examples:

Betty bought a beautiful bagel, but she bungled the buttering. That's too many b sounds!

A semicolon to the rescue. Betty bought a beautiful bagel; she bungled the buttering.

See? Getting an extra b sound out, makes all the difference.

Same with and.

I woke up early and felt discontent, and I determined to drive west and repent. All those ands!

I woke up early and felt discontent; I determined to drive west and repent. Semicolon magic? Sometimes a compound sentence just sound and looks better with an upstanding little semicolon rather than a droll conjunction.

Way Three -- listing

This is the funnest use of semicolons in my opinion. I try to construct my thoughts on paper so that I gang up sentences that use semicolons in lists. If you can get five or six of these on a page, well, you've arrived semicolon-wise. Listing semicolons are used instead of commas in lists that already have plenty commas.

Example:

Today I will pontificate on punctuation, specifically the semicolon, that most noxious of punctuation, the humble comma, surprisingly powerful, the dash, which adds a certain flair to any passage, and, last but not least, the ellipse.

See you don't know if I'm calling the semicolon or the comma noxious. You don't know if I find the comma or the dash powerful. You're befuddled!

Semicolons to the rescue. Today I will pontificate on punctuation, specifically the semicolon, the most noxious of punctuation; the humble comma, surprisingly powerful; the dash, which adds a certain flair to any passage; and, last but not least, the ellipse.

Now go forth and semicolon up your sentences.

>>Now go forth and semicolon up your sentences.

And if you still can't figure it out, please don't try to use them.

martin shaw

'A semicolon to the rescue. Betty bought a beautiful bagel; she bungled the buttering. '

That aint right?

A comma to the rescue. Betty bought a beautiful bagel, she bungled the buttering so she could suck on the lumps, like a prostitute spreads a urine infection on a slice of bread for her lunch.

Martin. Don't start.

martin shaw

Ha, I think you know me..... Dang!

Back to the drawing board