HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Reality TV Creator Looking for Agent Representation(?)

Hi Everyone,

This looks like a safe, comfortable and supportive place to ask a question. Having said that, I know most people DESPISE reality TV - I do too! I'm doing my bit to change that by creating (some) shows with a social conscience.

With that awkwardness out of the way, I am an American living on a little island near Auckland, New Zealand, and I have recently created 4+ 'new concept' reality show treatments that steer clear of 'trashy'. My friends and family think what I have created is fantastic (go figure), but it is time to see if I really have what it takes to make these shows a reality (ha). I have been in IT marketing most of my life, and I have recently started creating show ideas to counteract the sheer boredom of my career!

My question is: should I use an agent to pitch these to producers? These are certainly not great screenplays like the majority of you have created, but they are 12 to 14 page concepts that are the basis for pitching a producer or network.

Any assistance or words of wisdom will be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Dave

Re: Reality TV Creator Looking for Agent Representation(?)

Hi David,

Sorry, I don't know much about reality tv.

My feeling is that you won't need an agent for a pitch. But you may need one to negotiate a contract.

When I Googled, "How to pitch a reality television show," I got a lot of responses. I know you'll already know some of them, but you may find something useful. It appears that you go directly to the networks with a treatment.

It sounds to me like your treatment is a bit long. They are generally 1-5 pages for a tv series or screenplay. But check out the Google info and see what you think.

Best of luck to you.

No worries - Thanks Simon!

Apparently I didn't post anything.

I'm telling you, I get no respect around here.

Hi Leslee,

I thought for sure that I replied to you, but I hadn't and I apologize! Thank you for your insight and the valuable information. Getting INTO the networks for a pitch is my struggle at the moment (as I'm living in New Zealand), but a move next month to the LA area will make that as easier task.

As far as treatment length goes, I have pulled the episode descriptions out which has reduced the size dramatically.

Thank you again for your info!

Dave

Leslee...with over 2,000 posts, I think you have earned respect! You have mine.

I don't know if that number is correct. It might be, given that I've been posting here since it was discovered that the world was round, not flat.

I appreciate the respect. Thank you!

Round? Why am I always the last to know? Maybe cause I live in New Zealand.