HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

For Martin - cuz he asked so nicely.

Itís quite commonly known that all bridges are magical because they lead from one place to another place. What is less commonly known however, is that if one were to stand precisely in the middle of some bridges - and I do mean precisely - one would be neither here nor there, a very magical place indeed.

Because if youíre neither here nor there - you just might be anywhere.

###

Dorothea Longbottom lived in a tiny house at the edge of a wood. It was quite like those cottages that are always making appearances in fairy tales. The front of it faced south and looked upon a meadow and the rear faced the wood. This suited her just fine. Her garden out front did very well, even though she shared much of its bounty with rabbits, skunks, squirrels and the occasional deer. And the wood behind, fringed at its edges with pine and cedar, intercepted and softened winterís harsh north winds.

###

If ever there was a whimsical element, itís the wind. Childlike and tending toward extremes, it loves nothing better than to bring tidings it picks up during its travels. But the only bits of news that are truly reliable are the ones that can be smelled. Despite good intentions, the wind is simply too scatterbrained to hold a thought for long. Donít misunderstand. Itís not that the wind lacks intelligence. Itís more a matter of information overload. Itís constantly picking up new tidbits as it sweeps across the earth and simply canít process it all. As a result, it forgets things and, well, frankly, gets others a little jumbled.

For that reason, Dorothea listened to the wind with only half an ear but she always took time to sniff it carefully. Last night she smelled impending rain and this morning it had arrived. Her mind wasnít on the showers though. Though she did her best to dismiss it as one of windís messed-up messages, one thing it had spoken of last night occupied and darkened her thoughts.

Amy Lou

Re: For Martin - cuz he asked so nicely.

Thanks a lot Frank, I really enjoyed reading this and getting to know your voice. My favorite is the paragraph on the whimsical element, it's the wind. That was beautiful. Again, thanks for sharing your voice!
    Amy Lou

martin shaw

Yeah, its great. Its logical and innocent. It had me straight away. T H White is you Frank, and thats not a paint colour.

I liked that very much. I could see that being in a book you wrote for your children or grandchildren. And inspired by the beautiful nature you live in, and want to share with them.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

You have a great style and flair for knitting language with imagry. I probably won't sleep tonight wondering what the heck the wind told her that darkened her thoughts! Thanks for posting.

You folks are very kind. Thanks.

I enjoyed it, Frank.

Frank,

I was captivated by the first one, the bridge. That's exceptional writing. The whimsy is perfect.

Cur

Here's my attempt, for fun, to continue it.

Once at the precise middle, it's important to turn to each cardinal. (No need to bow since this has nothing to do with religion.) Having turned completely around, look under the bridge.

If there be a troll, speak kindly. "Troll, what's up? I've lived under bridges when times came hard."

If there be a witch, speak kindly. Remember, you married her. "Witch, we've spent forty years together. Good ones, they are. I love your spell every day."

If there be a politician, speak kindly. "Well, pigeon-breath, low-life, scum-sucking lump of offal, not to even mention awful, get out from under our bridge. It's the people's!

Okay, 'moutta here.

Cur

I'm glad, Lea. Thanks, Cur.