HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Re: RIGHT! Totally different approach - 4get the mini synopsis!

Avonne, I am a mid-list YA author who hasn't, unfortunately, made it to the big time. It doesn't mean I'll stop trying. But I started very late, which is why I always encourage young authors to write NOW, while they have the chance, before they get too bogged down with families, demanding jobs, and a variety of other obstacles. Not, of course, that I consider my family an obstacle, but--in all honesty--when your kids are young, your writing time is at a premium. I didn't publish anything till 4 years ago. Though my children are now grown, I don't have the luxury of quitting my job or even cutting back. It must be wonderful to be able to write full time, to devote all your time and energy to what you love to do best. Few authors can do this and make a good living at it.

thanks for the encouragement Jena.

I'm not young (not old either but you know what I mean)
    My plan (hope) is to be able to sell my MS and from that start my career as a writer.
    Hopefully within 5 years I'd like to be writing and painting fulltime.

When I have the time and money to orgainise exhibits, I do make money - but, as with writing, to prepare work for an exhibit can take 12-24 months when working on other things. (just as life/job/bills)
    It would be great if I could divide my time in the arts of writing and painting

Ahh! to dream!
    if the wine is sour throw it out

SatyricalRaven

Satyrical Raven Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > thanks for the encouragement Jena.
    >

Hey, any time!

Jena, it's cool that you're published though.

As a stay at home mom (boy, does the family get in the way....not that I regret that, love my family to death) it is tough to have an identity that is my own. The general concensus is that my "job" is easy, and the satisfaction and rewards come from nurturing your children.

Ahh, but they do grow up....and leave home. Not quite an empty nest yet....and yes, then i'm starting "old" too. But, I will happily accept "middle list" and hopefully will just be published one day. I am following my dream of many moons ago.

ps. And some of the books that I have fallen in love with are not the A-listers (?). The problem is that when you find an author with a voice that you really like, you want them to have published 20 books so that you can go back and read them all. Ya know?

Avonne Writer Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > The problem
    > is that when you find an author with a voice that
    > you really like, you want them to have published
    > 20 books so that you can go back and read them
    > all. Ya know?

Yes, and I'm still waiting right now for my favorite authors to come out with yet another!

Always waiting, always waiting. The trouble for me is, that I have so many favorite authors I forget who they are. I have to check the new releases to jog my memory sometimes. Getting old is hell, i tell ya.