HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Irwin Tang

$1,500 Balcones Book Prize

The Balcones Book Prize is awarded for a book of outstanding fiction. The deadline for nomination has been extended to 2/28/2011.

I am the administrator for this book prize. Because of some marketing mistakes, we have not received the number of nominations we expected. So we have extended the deadline.

You can find out more at *Link removed by Mod*

Thank you kindly.

Irwin Tang
    Associate Professor
    Austin Community College Creative Writing

Re: $1,500 Balcones Book Prize

$30 Reading fee............ so after 50 entires, you make a profit. Nice
    if the wine is sour – throw it out

SatyricalRaven

I find it quite interesting that Wikipedia has never heard of your contest.

"Because of some marketing mistakes, we have not received the number of nominations we expected. So we have extended the deadline."

Translation:

"We haven't lured enough knobs to cough up the 30 beans which means (gulp!) this little exercise is in danger of costing us some money instead of making some."

Exactly Frank !

Oh, but wait, they also have a prize for poetry - and that's only $25 reading fee!
    if the wine is sour – throw it out

SatyricalRaven

Ditty time!

The Cojones book prize. No, thanks.

I received an email from the OP, who has been unable to post a rebuttal here in the forums. I'll post his comments after this link to Writing World's breakdown of how to spot a scam contest.

I sought to offer an opportunity for writers here to nominate books to a brand new book prize. There are only a handful of fiction book prizes open to the general fiction book market. And, of course, yes, we must have a certain number of nominations to continue offering the prize, and continue to fly writers in to Austin to read their work at a public reading. The Balcones Poetry Prize has been up and running for over 15 years; this is the first time we’ve offered a fiction prize. Of course, it irked me to hear the remarks in the forum. Every book prize, except those funded by extremely moneyed backers must rely on reading fees to exist. I don’t make any money doing this, by the way, besides the relatively small stipend I am being paid to get this prize off the ground. Perhaps the National Book Award can rely on an endowment or a grant to do its work, but we are a community college, and we rely on property taxes and reading fees.

I implore the writers here to keep an open mind about what they read. We are all just well-meaning writers here at Austin Community College. Is this the usual response to posts about book prizes? I must have approached it in the wrong way. I thought that folks could click on the link and read more about the prize, rather than judge from my brief note. You may find out more about the prize by googling the book prize; it's not on wiki because it's new, and wiki does not include all book prizes.

Good luck to you and to writers.net.

Irwin Tang

Austin Community College Creative Writing
    Writers.Net Moderator

Okay, colour me ever-so-slightly abashed. But as a matter of principle I dislike reading fees and I think $30 is exorbitant. My thumb is still down.

I don’t make any money doing this, by the way, besides the relatively small stipend I am being paid to get this prize off the ground.

Where I come from, "getting paid" and "making money" are the same thing.

And a $30 "reading fee" is too high.