HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

stuck with past tense

i naturally keep writing in the past tense instead of the present tense... any tricks? As soon as i hit a groove i also notice ive been writing in the past tense.

Re: stuck with past tense

its when im talking through a narrator that this ia my biggest problem.

So do most writers. Either first person past or third person past (limited or omniscient).
    I don't see the problem.

What are you trying to do? Is present tense required for your particular story? If so, just write it in past tense and then "translate" it into present tense when you've finished with it. If you're hoping for present tense to bring a greater sense of immediacy, don't worry, that's not always the case, you can still draw the reader in with past tense, however, if present tense is required, maybe go and pick up one of those "choose your own adventure" books as they tend to be written in the present tense and you can see how they do it.

But, like Stan said, past tense is the natural story telling tense so no need to worry about that. In some languages, classified as "tenseless" by linguists (examples include Mandarin & Greenlandic), they don't have to worry about this - they do have expressions for time, but tense isn't a natural part of their verb formation However, English is not one of these "tenseless" languages, so unfortunately, we have to be acutely aware of the tense that we are using in our writing.

Cat

My problem is I sit down to write and nothing comes out but . . . words.

Maybe there's a reason you're writing in past tense? Maybe you should see if that tense suits the narration better. If not, just do what 'good morning' said and rewrite it into present when you're done.

Posted by the cat came back
    My problem is I sit down to write and nothing comes out but . . . words.
    Wrong thread, cat. *GRIN*

martin shaw