HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Vanity Publisher's response

Originally I was contacted - out of the blue - by being sent a contract by an outfit named Dorrance Publishing (of course I looked them up). They wanted upwards of 10,000 to publish my book.

I just laughed at them. Then one day I get another contract, from the same 'Author Relations Representative', suggesting a contract for a little undet 2000, with several $500 payments. More in my price league, so I did have a few back and forth conversations with him. Apparently Dorrance Publishing has a subsidy agency called RoseDog Publishing (also on line, even more clearly a Vanity publisher - once you know what to look for).

I suppose what really got me investigating though, more than the money, was some of the books they had published and that were online for sale. Even the brief synopses the authors put out there made my hair stand on end. Grammar, spelling, and just plain old terrible writing.

Nothing of the likes I have ever seen on here, not even in the worst of queries or writing samples.....:S

Oh God.... the horror.....I still wake up screaming at night, thinking about those books....

"Originally I was contacted - out of the blue - by being sent a contract by an outfit named Dorrance Publishing (of course I looked them up). They wanted upwards of 10,000 to publish my book."

Oh, them! $10,000, are they crazy? And they can't even put together a decent letter themselves!

Seems strange they'd send you a contract "out of the blue," though. Somehow they got ahold of your name & address, huh? Boy, these characters are desperate, not to mention ruthless.

(I tried to post this under Jena's last, but it wouldn't go there!)

*_*

At that point I had maybe sent out 5 Query letters to Publishing agencies. Probably got me on some kind of 'maining list'.

Or more accuratele "List of suckers". Since I know my Query was not up to par, now that I see how stringent the rules are, maybe I got tossed in the "Oh boy, if you want a real good laugh, look at THAT!" pile.

And maybe some really enterpreneurial person decided to make money by selling the info on those clearly new and clueless wannabe authors (which I will freely admit I was at that point), to the various Vanity Publishing houses?

That is my guess, because they had not only my adress, but the title of my book, and the synopsis. :

They troll writing boards and pick up a lot of newbies. It's some of their most fertile territory.

"At that point I had maybe sent out 5 Query letters to Publishing agencies. Probably got me on some kind of 'maining list'."

Very unlikely. It's probably what Frank said. They got your info online.

One thing I want to mention though, because I thought from the beginning that this was an honest disclosure:

They stated right in the contract that your booksales would probably not re-inburse you for the investment of publishing. Or something like that. I thought that was decent.

I guess one of the reasons I did not immediately discard them.

To the other issue: I don't know where else they could have gotten my info from. I had never published anything, and there was absolutely nothing online about me writing, or wanting to write a book. Those queries I sent out were literally the first time anybody (including my friends) heard about my interest in getting anything published. Yes, including my friends. I like to play my cards close to the chest...is that the American saying? B)

So as far as I am concerned the only place they could have gotten the info was from.......wait a minute. I did query Whitmore publishing. I think they are in some roundabout way related, or bought or something with Dorrance Publishing? When I did my research?

Not that it really matters. Its just curious.

I gather, Sabina, that you found Dorrance vile?

LOL, no, but I would love to hear about him.
    But I found enough to tell me it is a Vanity Publishing company, which by that time I knew to stay away from. I did not investigate any further after that.