HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Writers Block

Re: Writers Block

Give it rest for a while. EVERYONE has moments (or days) when they suddenly realize that what they've written is crap. Except...it isn't always crap. It's just a mood that hits us. It just feels like crap for a while.

(wanna know how long it took me to figure out who you are, what with the name change, lol?)

Ooops - sorry about that. B)

I hope you are right.

I am watching Kitchen Nightmares. I like BBCAmerica.

Maybe I should try that 30-page e-book method with one of them? Not much to lose there??:S

I know very little about e-books so I can't help you much there.

I'm at Borders, blogging and writing. Not getting much done, though. There is a mentally-challenged gentleman here and he's pretty disruptive (not intentionally so). The woman with him has the patience of a saint. I am in awe.

Hi Jena!

It's interesting that you should post about Blogging. I was just thinking of putting out a question concerning that - and then felt really stupid. Sort of like when I try to play video games with my 10-year-old? OR try to help him with his math homework "Mom, you're a doctor. Aren't you supposed to know math???" Ahem - yeah, but they taught it completely differently when I was a kid....:S

Aaaanyway..... I digress....

After watching the movie "Julie and Julia" or something like that, I discovered that apparently Blogging can lead to book deals. (Yeah, yeah, laugh at me now. Just get it out of your system....) But I have never used blogging. Watching that movie however (dork that I am), I assume it is kinda like journalling, only you do it online and people can comment?

But how would anybody know where your blog is? Or care to visit it, for that matter, unless they are a friend already. {In which case I may not want them to know all my private information, rotfl!!! }

Bina, I use Live Journal, mostly because I write YA and there is a huge YA community there. I used to cross-post on Blogger but nobody really read me there. I find that the way to get people to read your blog is to comment on other people's blogs--that's how I got the majority of my readership. I also post links to certain entries on Facebook. What I like about LJ is that you can lock your entries so no one but those on your friends list can read them, something you can't do with blogger. You can also customize these lists. For instance, I might have a GREAT story from work that I wouldn't want people I work with to see. So far I've had no problem with my locked posts getting into the wrong hands. Of course that's no guarantee, but I'm very careful with my friends list and I've been blogging there for 6 years. So my advice would be, if you do start a blog, be sure to interact often with other bloggers to increase readership. It does take a while.

Thanks!

{here goes another hour of my day I suppose }

Good Morning,

Lots of writers suffer or have suffered from writer's block. E.B. White had it pretty bad. People who've never had it, don't get it. How to deal with it comes down to the individual. Ask yourself why you think this is happening. Are you putting too much pressure on yourself?
    Are you afraid of being ridiculed? Of failure? Do your expectations match your skill?
    The thing you have to remember is that we all start somewhere. First drafts aren't perfect. In fact, no writing is perfect. There are ways of compensating for some weaknesses. If your narrative isn't the best, you can develop a way of strengthening other things like
    voice or characterization so it isn't that obvious.
    Sometimes we get too obsessed with a scene, character, phrase or whatever even when it isn't working. In this case, learning to sacrifice can help. It's a matter of exploring different angles. Sometimes starting the scene earlier or later can help. Sometimes you need to be
    more drastic and do away with the scene or character and start all over again.

Jeanne and some of the other posters have given terrific advice. Reading books is always good. I'd also try a writing buddy or writing group.

If you aim at improving your writing rather than becoming a bestseller, you're more likely to succeed!