HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Writers Block

Writers Block

Major case of writers block. Haven't had writers block this bad for a while. I know what I want to say & it's at the tip of my tongue so to speak, but I can't get it to work. I've been writing the same scene for several days now and it's not coming together for me at all. What to do...?

Re: Writers Block

Write something else. Anything. Copy the first page of your favorite novel. Write 2 pages on how to hammer a nail.
    It works for me.
    Stan

"'All writing is difficult. The most you can hope for is a day when it goes reasonably easily. Plumbers don't get plumber's block, and doctors don't get doctor's block; why should writers be the only profession that gives a special name to the difficulty of working, and then expects sympathy for it?" --Philip Pullman

Curious to hear some responses to this. -D

I am not an experienced writer, but I can give you an answer from the view point of how the brain works.

Remember the last time you lost something, say your passport? You can wreck your brain for hours, trying to retrace your steps, trying to remember where you might have left it - nothing. But put it aside, go about your day, and poof! Mostly within an hour or two you will suddenly remember where it is (in the old briefcase you don't use anymore, right under the manuscript you were working on the last time you flew to Sydney...).

I am sure nobody wants a scientific explanation of why that is, but I am sure you can apply the same principle.

Stop trying to write. Cook something. Do a craft. Do something physical, preferably to something cerebral. Maybe work in the yard?

I would be surpised if after a day or two of absolutely not trying to write at all, you will not be able to pick it up again and have some good ideas.

Some people put it down and never pick it up again.

Uh-uh. That would not be good, of course. :S

Personally, I don't get writer's block. If there is something I have to work on, I sit down and work on it.

However, I've been thinking about a file for the past seven days and still haven't opened it up. But this is simple procrastination. I dread the work ahead of me.

If you wait for the "mood" to hit you, you might be waiting forever. If you ever want to write professionally, then you have to treat it as your job even before you are published.

Some suggestions to cure "writer's block":

Take a walk.

Write something else--a poem, a short story, another scene in the novel, an entry in your journal.

Copy out word-for-word a section of a book you admire. If that section addresses the same issues you're struggling with in your scene, that's even better. It can give ideas on how to fix what is wrong in your own work.

Exercise.

Do something creative that has nothing to do with writing.

Write in a different location using different materials. If you always write on your laptop at the dining table, pick up a pen and paper and go write at the mall.

Start a new scene in the book but don't finish. Stop in the middle of a sentence or the middle of a conversation. This was Hemmingway's favorite trick, I believe. When you come back, you have to finish what you started, but you do the same thing the next day--until the entire book is finished.

Read. Immerse yourself for a week or so in reading great literature. It will inspire you to get back to work.

That should be enough to get you back to work. Good luck. Writer's block is a temporary condition. Remember that.

Jeanne

Quit telling yourself you have writer's block. That helps.

(And it's "writer's" not "writers" block.)

I have vacuum-the-rugs block. In fact, I've pretty much blocked the whole nasty thought from entering my mind.

*_*