HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Series Vs Stand Alone

Is it true that this is the realm of serialisations as opposed to stand alones? That teens somehow dig reading episodic books when compared with oneshots? There are lots of successful stand alone teen novels too, but at the bookshops, people seem to be mostly selling in series for teens. What's the draw to serials for this particular age group?

Re: Series Vs Stand Alone

From what I understand, it has more to do with the publishers than anything else. Because they're touchy about signing a multi-book deal with a new author (not knowing how it will sell) they often opt for a smaller deal. Then, if that first book takes off, they'll talk to you about a series. From what I hear, agents and publishers alike want to hear that you have a stand-alone manuscript. If it could be part of a series--great. But first you have to make that opening sale.

In my query letters I always mention that my books stand alone but have series potential (if that's true). But I never write more than the first book, even if I know where the tale is going to go.

I think kids, like everyone else, gravitate towards authors they already know they like. So if your putting out stand alone books or serials, you name will help selll your book to your readers.

At least that's what my research has taught me.

You wouldn't believe how much of what they pick up has to do with the cover art (just a random note).
    To answer your question, I think the appeal is in knowing that the characters aren't dead to them after the first novel. They like the notion that they can live on.

imported_Jesse Frankel

I would have to agree with this last post. When I wrote 'The Tower' I deliberately left the ending open, leaving room for a sequel. I've written two sequels to my first e-novel and hopefully, the publisher will pick them up.

There were some novels I read in the Y/A genre that never should have had a sequel written while others begged to have follow-ups. Ultimately, if's up to the author to decide if a sequel is worth pursuing. JMO on all this...

I'm currently planning for my book to become a six book series. I won't say what the ending of my book will be, but I will say that it will end in a way that readers will want to know the next story. If you write a stand-alone, end it in a way that won't leave your readers hanging and wanting to find out more about a character or situation.

I've done some reading on this question, but I'm a total noob so take what I say with a grain of salt. Everything I've ever read says you have to market your book as a stand alone, with the potential to be expanded. You have to get the first one published first. That makes sense really, because if a publisher doesn't want to publish one, they certainly wont want to publish four.

So, if I were you, I would make sure your book is satisfying on its own. Once it gets picked up, then I would start thinking about a series. That is my plan, at least. I write purely for fun (as i'm sure most of you do) so while i'm waiting for an interested agent I have moved on to another totally separate novel to keep me occupied. Its hard to shelf something you love, but you'll come back to it one day (hopefully)!

Be sure to check the dates on threads you reply to, Jess. This one was over two years old and the players involved are long gone. Your points are valid, but the original poster won't see them ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilfindel View Post
    Be sure to check the dates on threads you reply to, Jess. This one was over two years old and the players involved are long gone. Your points are valid, but the original poster won't see them ;-)
    Something tells me imported_Jesse Frankel will be back some day, and when he does return, we'll be here.

Yeah...sorry. Thanks for the heads up. Clearly I didn't do enough date checking when I started posting. *sheepish grin*

You were ba-a-a-a-a-a-d.