HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Query Help

Re: Query Help

query purgatory LOL!

I think I left purgatory and entered hell months ago.............. I'll keep the hellfires burning for you hahaha
    if the wine is sour throw it out

SatyricalRaven

Amy,

You wrote: Are you saying that her actions need to be consistent all the way through the novel so that it's believable to the reader that she would love him and give her life to provide him with redemption. I feel like I have done this.

I looked back at your Q and don't see any mention of your protagonist redeeming the evil love interest. I don't know that a protagonist's actions need to be consistent. You want the character to change during the story, but that change should make sense. I don't know what the character arc is in your manuscript, but in the Q it seems that you're setting up that your protagonist's problem is her lack of discernment. If that's the case, then this lacking needs to be addressed through her character arc so that we leave her changed. Not that she has to be fixed necessarily, but she has to deal with her shortcoming in some meaningful way, even if it means she decides to embrace her shortcoming, even if she decides to be become less discerning.

There are great stories with tragic sorts of heroes who are given every opportunity to overcome some flaw in themselves and don't. They may even save the day for others, but they fail to meet their own demons, so to speak. You may just want to google about to see how heroes are categorized by the experts. You may find a category of hero that fits your protagonist and get some ideas. There are some great books about hero archetypes.

It's not uncommon to kind of protect the protagonists we create. We want readers to like them so we don't make their flaws evident and real enough. The other characters in the work then have to take on more of the load of moving the plot along. Sometimes some of them even become more interesting than the character we set out to make the protagonist and steal the limelight. We're left having to decide to either make the protagonist flawed enough to drive the story along or to make another character central.

Sorry for the ramble. Hope something here helps.

Amy Lou

No, this is not rambling at all, it raises a lot of very good questions for me. Ones I've never even thought about.

C K Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Amy,
    >
    > You wrote: Are you saying that her actions need
    > to be consistent all the way through the novel so
    > that it's believable to the reader that she would
    > love him and give her life to provide him with
    > redemption. I feel like I have done this.
    >
    > I looked back at your Q and don't see any mention
    > of your protagonist redeeming the evil love
    > interest.I had not written that paragraph when I posted this portion of the query, but she does redeem Phoenix. Don't know if that will make my query better or worse, I am all turned around.I don't know that a protagonist's
    > actions need to be consistent. You want the
    > character to change during the story,(Okay, she does change, she goes from being insecure, overweight and dependent on others, to secure, thin and very independent. and that independence shows in her final decision.) but that
    > change should make sense. I don't know what the
    > character arc is in your manuscript, but in the Q
    > it seems that you're setting up that your
    > protagonist's problem is her lack of discernment. ((No, that is not the case, so I guess I need to change that in my query. She has very good discernment especially when it comes to her best friend's fiance and his friends. Phoenix is different from them.)
    > If that's the case, then this lacking needs to be
    > addressed through her character arc so that we
    > leave her changed. Not that she has to be fixed
    > necessarily, but she has to deal with her
    > shortcoming in some meaningful way, even if it
    > means she decides to embrace her shortcoming, even
    > if she decides to be become less discerning.
    >
    > There are great stories with tragic sorts of
    > heroes who are given every opportunity to overcome
    > some flaw in themselves and don't. They may even
    > save the day for others, but they fail to meet
    > their own demons, so to speak. You may just want
    > to google about to see how heroes are categorized
    > by the experts. You may find a category of hero
    > that fits your protagonist and get some ideas.
    > There are some great books about hero archetypes.
    >
    > It's not uncommon to kind of protect the
    > protagonists we create. We want readers to like
    > them so we don't make their flaws evident and real
    > enough. The other characters in the work then
    > have to take on more of the load of moving the
    > plot along. Sometimes some of them even become
    > more interesting than the character we set out to
    > make the protagonist and steal the limelight.
    > We're left having to decide to either make the
    > protagonist flawed enough to drive the story along
    > or to make another character central.
    >
    > Sorry for the ramble. Hope something here helps.

Yes this does help, I've given the wrong impression of Chloe and made her weak and uninteresting. This has helped me to think about how strong she is and bring that to the query. Thanks again.
    Amy