HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

I'd sure be interested

in the answers to a couple of questions regarding this type of writing from those who do it.

What kind of money can a person (realistically) expect to make doing content writing? I know that on the traditional freelance pay scale, payment per-word, it works out to fractions of a penny. But if you become adept at this and learn to bang them out at a ridiculous rate -- what kind of hourly rate would it work out to?

I'm old school and it's hard for me not to consider this type of writing as the literary equivalent of assembly-line factory work. In those kinds of jobs (which I frankly considered soul-destroying and avoided like the plague) one could expect a very good living wage, with attractive benefits, to offset the mind-numbing nature of the work. A few of my friends went down the General Motors road and did all right for themselves. They were living in their own house for a decade or two when I was still renting a basement apartment.

When content writing first reared its head a few years ago, I genuinely hoped it would die a quick death -- that writers would flat-out refuse to work for such pathetic recompense. I really thought that such (to my mind) uncreative work simply wouldn't get done unless a fair wage was offered in return.

Luckily, I don't get paid per fulfilled prophecy. (But I'm hoping to hear that rates have improved somewhat.)

Another question: Do any of you folks see this as a true stepping stone to better writing gigs? Do you consider the blurbs you write as what we oldtimers would refer to as a "decent clip?" Or is it basically just a way to make a few extra bucks?

For those who respond, please accept my appreciation.

Re: I'd sure be interested

Hi Frank,

I spent about forty minutes writing a long response telling you about what I have learned about content writing in the short time I have been doing it. I went to post and it told me "possible hack attempt detected!" and didn't post it. I lost the post and I don't have the time to write that all over again. Very strange.

Long story short: there is potential in it ( I am starting to make money after only two weeks ) but it might require obsessive dedication and can be complicated to do it right. If you want to know more about what little I've learned so far then feel free to email me and maybe this time it won't be lost.

Hi James. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and I'm sorry you got bitten by the time-out bug. Until our software here is upgraded, it's a good idea to copy lengthy posts just in case you get logged out while crafting them. (That's what occurred to you.) Then, you can paste it after re-logging in.

My curiousity is simply that. I'm pretty much retired and rarely write for money any more. Glad to hear you're beginning to see a return for your efforts.

I know several people who earn 2k+ a month through residual earnings, and many more who earn as much or more through content mills like DS... My personal experience: I wrote for DS briefly, and was able to earn anywhere from 30$ to 45$ per hour. I have a friend who writes there, however, who earns something more like 2$ per hour, and another who can make 60$ an hour on a good day. It all depends on research ability, general knowledge, how quickly you type and revision skills. (Combined with the ability to accept incorrect revisions from editors - this was my sticking point, lol)
    Hope this helps!
    Writers.Net Moderator

Before I started writing for the content mills I did some research and found, as Victoria said, people who made over 2k monthly (though I don't know any of them personally). My goal with writing for the content mills is so that, hopefully, in a couple of years I can be writing science fiction novels full time and not worry too much how I'm going to pay the bills. So, this is my "stepping stone".

As far as "uncreative" is concerned, how can it be uncreative if you enjoy writing about the topic. Now I will agree that it is pure fluff but I would like to think of it as "creative fluff." As for how much money one can make I will give you an example. I submitted an article yesterday to a content mill. At the time of this writing it has already had 56 page views and some add clicks; I have made $1.16 from it. This is in one day. So, maybe, I am starting to figure it all out. As I said it is fluff and I wrote it at a time when I was completely grasping for a topic. If you would like to take a look at my example article you can find it here: creative fluff (It is not my intention to spam so please feel free to remove the link if you consider it as such, Victoria).

As I stated in my bio I am a new writer and I'm not even sure if I write well. But regardless of my writing ability I am making money at it. As I am not sure about my writing skills, and no one has offered any opinions, I would really welcome some constructive criticism or editing advice.

Thanks both, for your input.

I just thought I should clarify; even though $1.16 doesn't sound like much we are talking residuals. If this article did half as well as it did today on other days then over a years' time it will have made over $200. It is possible it could make money for years. Which isn't bad for three hours of work. Yes, I know that is quite a bit of time for such a short article but I type slowly and even a small article like this takes me quite a bit of research, and it has been years since I've been there and I wanted to make sure that all my facts were right. I would hate to sacrifice quality for speed.

Melanie Zoltan

I have revenue share articles that earn me $100-200 per month each now - they are rare, but I have them! At the end of a year, then, I'll have earned $1200 to $2400 per 500-word article. BUT - I have plenty of non-earners, and plenty of low earners. I have articles on About.com, Suite101, eHow WCP, Demand Media rev share, Factoidz, and Associated Content. I've been publishing rev share articles for more than 4 years now - and some of the oldies from 2007 and 2008 are my better earners.

I do earn more than a healthy part-time income now from rev share across all these sites. I also have a traditional publishing background, with articles in many print books, 8 print books of my own with an educational publisher, etc. (those were work for hire and I do not earn royalties, though). So for me, providing solid SEO is more important than establishing writer authority when it comes to rev share content mills. I'm more focused on dominating a keyword phrase and using THAT as leverage for gaining higher-pay, traditional work than I am in using the article content itself as some sort of portfolio builder.

This isn't true for all sites, or for all articles. Some I write for clips, some for fun, some for creativity. But for the most part, if I'm doing any rev share work aside from About.com, it's because I want to stretch my SEO skills and build income.

It's good to see that, in time, some folks can generate a decent income from content writing.

Ben Lloyd

I regularly submit content to consumer review websites Ciao.co.uk and Dooyoo.co.uk, neither of which pay at all well.

I think I make about 80 per year out of Ciao and even less from Dooyoo - I do it more because I enjoy the community atmosphere.

If I want to make "proper" money, bespoke articles or article re-writes seem to be the way to go!