HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Edited Query for Non-Fiction

If I may bother you one more time? Those of you who are not already sick and tired of this, and I could not blame you....

But I tried to incorporate all the helpful feedback I received, and this is the new and hopefully improved version of my Query:

======================================

The......Agency
    1234 Boulevard
    City, State, Zip code

January 31, 2011

Dear John Doe

Although I saw that your agency was taking a short break, I am hoping that you have started reading new proposals again and I would like to submit my query.

As a clinical psychologist I have a small private practice in Northern California where I also work with the local Psychiatric Emergency Team. Much of my current research has been in the area of Attachment Disorders (AD), which were incidentally also the thesis of my doctoral dissertation. Most of today's literature and research about Attachment Disorders still centers around children. This book, however, will be about adults who showed signs of AD as children and how they now, in adulthood, function in close relationships .

The main focus of my book is on adult romantic relationships and what difficulties in that area are often encountered by adults who had attachment disorders as infants and children. I outline and explain two new and distinct categories. One is the Adult Attachment Disorder (AAD), the other is the Adult Detachment Disorder (ADeD).

Although there has been some research in recent years in the area of Adult Attachment Styles, there has yet to be an in-depth look at how early disruption in human attachment often has lifelong, and sometimes near debilitating repercussions when it comes to a person's intimate adult relationships. In an easy to read language, my book explains the developmental significance of human attachment, as well as the biological markers and the neurological processes involved in the attachment process.

It then goes on to briefly touch on previous findings by other studies about attachment, and finally it explains (in some places with examples and vignettes) how those Attachment or Detachment difficulties play out in the every day life and relationships of those adults.

Considering that broken marriages and broken relationships are not only on the rise, but are often cited as significant catalysts for depression, suicide attempts, low self-esteem, even some biological ailments such as heart disease, high blood pressure, weight problems or sleep disorders, there is likely be a considerable market of adults who will find the subject matter of this book interesting and relevant.

While I am not suggesting that all relationship breakups are due to Attachment/Detachment issues, the reality is that early attachment disruptions do give rise to a whole slew of emotional difficulties. An no better (or worse) place to see them in their full colors are often, unfortunately, in a person's most intimate relationships. The reader will be surprised to learn how many relationship difficulties can be traced back to deep seated insecurities by one or both partners - which started with a disrupted attachment in infancy.

Additionally the book will feature exercises for both individuals and couples to reduce the stress that attachment or detachment issues can bring to a relationship, as well as a variety of other techniques. Those techniques will show how to work “with” and not “against” ones natural inclinations when a person finds themselves with traits of attachment or detachment tendencies.

The book “Abandonment and Intimacy Issues in Adult Romantic Relationships” will be between 100 and 150 pages of Non-fiction print. Its anticipated completion is in April of this year (2011).

I want to thank you in advance for taking the time to read this query and would be honored to hear back from you with a request to send a proposal.

Sincerely

Sabina A. Grosse, Psy.D.

Re: Edited Query for Non-Fiction

Well, I did it. No more need to read this, because I took the plunge and jumped in with both feet (I must have something about water, huh?)

I used all of the suggestions and advice you have given me on my query, but also the ones I saw on other people's queries. I worked on it all night, and until just about 5 minutes ago.

Which is when I decided it is as good as it is going to get unless I want to become obsessive over it. And I sent it!

I must say I am quite happy with it. I obviously don't expect to get results from the first 20 or so queries (and I have not even identified that many places to send it to, lol), but it feels good to have begun the journey.

I will most definitely keep you updated.

And in the meantime of course - you kind and endlessly patient folks, I plan to periodically drag out a random piece of my book and try to benefit from your expertise. IF that is alright?

Oh, and sorry to reply to my own post again (blush) but the above is not the final copy I sent. That was the working copy at the time, but it still had a lot of work to be done.

Hence me saying that I probably could have obsessively edited it for 3 more months - but to what purpose? Sometimes "good enough" has to be good enough I think.

It only has to be good enough to pull in a request for more pages. Then it has done it's job.
    Good luck,
    Stan

Thanks!

IF it does at some point, and someone wants me to post it, I will.

Good luck with it, Sabina!

Amy Lou

Good Luck Sabina, I did read through this one and really enjoyed it. It's exciting to send it off isn't it!!

Yes it is!!! Thanks to all of you!!! -D

Oh, and I just sent a second one.....

I wish you luck too, Sabina, but if you don't think that a query has to be really great to stand above the hundreds of others that wind up in any given agent's inbox, and that it's worth the time and effort to keep going until you get it there, then I for one won't be wasting my time giving you feedback in the future.

Dear Simon,

Here is what I submitted. You be the Judge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. ..........

Although I saw that your agency was taking a short break in reading new materials, I am hoping that you are now accepting fresh proposals again, and I would like to submit my query; because after quite some research I find your agency amazingly compatible with the topic matter of my Non-fiction book.

The main focus of my book are adult romantic relationships and the difficulties that are often encountered in that area by adults who had Attachment Disorders as infants and children. I outline and explain two new and distinct categories. One is the Adult Attachment Disorder (AAD), the other is the Adult Detachment Disorder (ADeD).

As a clinical psychologist I have a small private practice in Northern California where I also work with the local Psychiatric Emergency Team. Much of my current research has been in the area of Attachment Disorders (AD) which were also prominent in the thesis of my doctoral dissertation. Most of today's literature and research about Attachment Disorders still centers around children. This book, however, will be about adults who showed signs of Attachment Disorders as infants, and how they now function in their adult romantic and close relationships.

Although in recent years we have seen more research in the area of Adult Attachment Styles, there has yet to be an in-depth look at how early disruption in the human attachment process often has lifelong repercussions when it comes to a person's intimate adult relationships.

In an easy to read language, my book will explain the developmental significance of human attachment, as well as the biological markers and the neurological processes involved in the attachment process. It then goes on to briefly touch on previous findings by other studies about attachment. After that the book proceeds to explain (in some places with examples and vignettes) how those Attachment or Detachment difficulties play out in the every day life and relationships of those adults.

Considering that broken marriages and broken relationships are not only on the rise, but are often cited as significant catalysts for depression, suicide attempts, low self-esteem, even some biological ailments such as heart disease, high blood pressure, weight problems or sleep disorders, there is likely a considerable market of adults who will find the subject matter of this book interesting and relevant.

While I am not suggesting that all relationship breakups are due to Attachment/Detachment issues, the reality is that early attachment disruptions do give rise to a whole slew of emotional difficulties. An no better (or worse) a place to see them manifest as, unfortunately, in a person's most intimate relationships. The reader will be surprised to learn how many relationship difficulties can be traced back to deep seated insecurities by one or both partners - and how many of them started with a disrupted attachment in infancy.

At this point the book will feature exercises, both for individuals and for couples, to reduce the stress that attachment or detachment issues can bring to a relationship, as well as a variety of other techniques, activities, and other helpful suggestions. Those measures and discoveries will show how to work “with” and not “against” ones natural inclinations, when a person finds themselves with traits of attachment or detachment tendencies.

The book “Abandonment and Intimacy Issues in Adult Romantic Relationships” is expected to be between 100 and 150 pages of Non-fiction text. Its anticipated completion is in April of this year (2011).

I want to thank you in advance if you were able to take the time to read this query and I would be honored to hear back from you with a request to send a proposal.

Sincerely

Sabina A. Grosse, Psy.D.