HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Query for Non-fiction proposal

Hi,
    this agency only takes non-fiction works, but also specifies that it is interested in queries before sending proposals. They also said it is okay to send queries while they are taking their 'break".

What do you think of the following.

=======================================
    The......Agency
    1234 Boulevard
    City, State, Zip code

January 31, 2011

Dear John Doe

Your website indicated that since last September you have chosen to take a break from reading new proposals from writers not already being represented by your Agency,. However, it did not state for how long this break was going to last. Hoping that you have started reading new proposals again, I would like to submit my query.

As a clinical psychologist I have a small private practice in Northern and I also work with the local Psychiatric Emergency Services team. Much of my research has been around attachment disorders (AD), which were also in the thesis of my doctoral dissertation. Most of today's literature and research in the Attachment Disorder area still centers around children. This book, however, will be about adults who showed signs of AD as children and how they now, in adulthood, deal with close relationships .

The main focus of my book is on adult romantic relationships and the difficulties in that area encountered by adults who had attachment disorders as infants and children. I outline and explain two new and distinct categories. One is the Adult Attachment Disorder (AAD), the other is the Adult Detachment Disorder (ADeD).

Although there has been some research in recent years in the area of Adult Attachment Styles, there has yet to be an in-depth look at how early disruption in human attachment often has lifelong, and sometimes near debilitating repercussions when it comes to a person's intimate relationships in adulthood. My book explains the developmental significance of human attachment, the biological markers and the neurological processes involved in the attachment process. It then goes on to briefly touch on previous findings by other studies about attachment, and finally it explains (in some places with examples and vignettes) how those Attachment or Detachment difficulties play out in the every day life and relationships of those adults.

Considering that broken marriages and broken relationships are not only on the rise, but are often cited as significant catalysts for depression, suicide attempts, low self-esteem, even some biological ailments such as heart disease, high blood pressure, weight problems or sleep disorders, there is likely be a considerable market of adults who will find the subject matter of this book interesting and relevant.

The book “Abandonment and Intimacy Issues in Adult Romantic Relationships” will be between 100 and 150 pages of Non-fiction material. Its anticipated completion is in April of this year (2011).

I want to thank you in advance for taking the time to read this query and would be honored to hear back from you with a request to send a proposal.

Sincerely

Sabina A. Grosse, Psy.D.

Re: Query for Non-fiction proposal

S,

I know nothing about the non-fiction market, but having done considerable tech writing, I can tell when something is well written. As is this.

I'll leave it for others to advise on the fine detail of the process.

I do have one comment about this paragraph:
    Considering that broken marriages and broken relationships are not only on the rise, but are often cited as significant catalysts for depression, suicide attempts, low self-esteem, even some biological ailments such as heart disease, high blood pressure, weight problems or sleep disorders, there is likely be a considerable market of adults who will find the subject matter of this book interesting and relevant.
    It seems weak. IMO, something like "TITLE offers help for adults suffering from broken relationships, often cited as..." would work better.

Stan

Thank you, Stan. That compliment from you means a lot.

And I will look into fixing that paragraph you mentioned. Thanks again.

Hi Sabina,

I have a couple comments and questions about your project that relate to the query.

You say that you believe that there's a considerable market for this book because of the large number of divorces and breakups. Are you suggesting that all or most relationships end because one of the parties has an attachment disorder? I doubt that's what your implying (and I also doubt that it's true.) But if that's not your position then what makes you think that there will be a big market for a book about this disorder, if most breakups are due to to things other than AD?

I ask this, because if I thought of it, I'm sure some agents will as well.

Also while you are pitching this as commercial non fiction, your breakdown of what's in the book makes it sound more like a text book or an academic work geared toward mental health care professionals. You don't mention a self help component for people who may have AD or coping tools for someone who may be involved or in love with someone who has it. Adding that element or focusing on that aspect when you pitch it (if it already is included) will make your books sound a lot more commercial than it does in your query

Again, I bring this up, because if I'm wondering who the audience is, then I'm sure an agent would as well.

I think your first paragraph contains too many details (i.e."your website indicated since last September...") This agency knows what they say on their website, it's their website. Not sure why you're targeting an agency that isn't taking on new clients when there are so many agents that are. agentquery.com is a good resource to search for agents based on what they rep.

FYI publishing focuses on word count, not page count.

Good luck,

Simone ~ I had a great long and thoughtfully written response for you - and the great spaghetti monster of the Universe saw it fit to make it disappear. I am so sorry.

Now I don't have the energy to re-produce it. Maybe a little bit later tonight.

But thank you for your insightful questions.

I think a large article can be written on the people-coping-with-their-invested-long-responses-being-deleted / swallowed by the great hungry monster that resides in the depths of the internet, feeding only on the mostly invested posts (ok, now I see a potential for a considerable SF novel)
    It happened to me yesterday, precisely over the passionate response to C K, and I was as near to the heart attack as I ever was:X

So, i guess, in so many words, I was just trying to say that I would love to read your response, even if reconstructed

(Sorry that it is my only contribution to the thread, as I am utterly out of my depth here)
    Pre-Columbian North America

http://blog.zoesaadia.com/

Zoe, I really appreciate your thoughtful response. However - be it the late hour, or some other brain malfunction going on with me, I have no idea what you were trying to say. Other than it gave you, as an unintended byproduct, a great idea for your next SciFi novel . Which makes me happy for you of course.

And I sense that you were maybe trying to indicate that you think what I am writing will be a bunch of psychobabble (or hogwash), but that there are enough gullable people out there who look for reasons to blame their misfortunes on, and who would be more than willing to buy and read a book such as mine? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, I am in the other thread reading through your story as we are speaking, so I will get back to you on that shortly also.

Thanks again for taking the time!

lol Sabina, I think I've made a mess of a simple post
    All I was trying to say was:
    1. It happened to me yesterday too. I wrote a long passionate response, then upon clicking on the "preview" button, received a message that for some reason I was logged out and the whole invested post just dissipated into the thin internet air, sending me into a fit of a raged desperation (On man, I am long-winged)

Then I added (2) that I would be curious to read that response of yours (the deleted one), as your original post made me curious, although I'm utterly out of my depth here (and in no way can presume to even think of what you have wrote as "bunch of psychobabble" - I needed a dictionary just to try to understand this word). Still the first post made me curious to read more, that's all

Anyway, I suppose my previous post came to an utterly unsuccessful attempt to be funny:S (Please don't get back at me on the other thread, have mercy)
    Pre-Columbian North America

http://blog.zoesaadia.com/

Zoe, you are too funny. Now I understand. And since I still owe Simone and answer anyway, and now 2 people are curious, I will do my best to reproduce it. I hope I did not write anything bothersome to you on your other thread [i](and no CK, I am not fawning, I am being friendly ) [i] {this has nothing to do with you Zoe, another thread, another time, lol}.

I have also been assaulted by a wicked headache over the last few hours, that despite meds and caffeine does not seem to want to go away. Grrrr.

Simon Says Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > Hi Sabina,
    >
    > I have a couple comments and questions about your
    > project that relate to the query.
    >
    > You say that you believe that there's a
    > considerable market for this book because of the
    > large number of divorces and breakups. Are you
    > suggesting that all or most relationships end
    > because one of the parties has an attachment
    > disorder? I doubt that's what your implying (and
    > I also doubt that it's true.) Simon, actually early attachment disruptions give rise to a whole slew of emotional difficulties. An no better (or worse) place to see them in their full colors is in the most intimate realtionships. However, the potential reader can look at the back cover and if they feel it does not apply to them - put the book back down. . But you would be surprised how many relationship difficulties can be traced back to deep seated insecurities by one or both partners - which started by a disrupted attachment in infancy.
    But if that's not
    > your position then what makes you think that there
    > will be a big market for a book about this
    > disorder, if most breakups are due to to things
    > other than AD?
    >
    > I ask this, because if I thought of it, I'm sure
    > some agents will as well. I am glad that you brought this up, because I might just put a sentence very much like the one I wrote to you in my next query edition. Thank you!
    >

> Also while you are pitching this as commercial non
    > fiction, your breakdown of what's in the book
    > makes it sound more like a text book or an
    > academic work geared toward mental health care
    > professionals. I am trying to be very careful not to do that. As a matter of fact, my next personal editing will address just this matter. You don't mention a self help
    > component for people who may have AD or coping
    > tools for someone who may be involved or in love
    > with someone who has it. Adding that element or
    > focusing on that aspect when you pitch it (if it
    > already is included) will make your books sound a
    > lot more commercial than it does in your query
    > Thank you again, Simone. It is included, but unless I mention it nobody will know, lol.
    > Again, I bring this up, because if I'm wondering
    > who the audience is, then I'm sure an agent would
    > as well.
    >
    > I think your first paragraph contains too many
    > details (i.e."your website indicated since last
    > September...") This agency knows what they say on
    > their website, it's their website. Not sure why
    > you're targeting an agency that isn't taking on
    > new clients when there are so many agents that
    > are. agentquery.com is a good resource to search
    > for agents based on what they rep.
    > I am also not sure about the introductory sentence. I think I will shrink it to just a few words. The reason I chose them is that otherwise they are SO perfect.
    > FYI publishing focuses on word count, not page
    > count.
    >
    > Good luck,