HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

BBC Writer's Room

Attention UK-based screenwriters: BBC accepts unsolicited scripts for a variety of formats - read more here: BBC Writer's Room.
    Writers.Net Moderator

Smile Thanks

Oh my god, thank you BBC (and poster ofc!) for actually making it semi easy to submit something!

They are open for submissions again, until 5pm on 21st May 2012, for anyone interested

I'm already working on mine! Hope to get it all finished by then, but if not, will wait for the next window. They accept scripts from new writers 3 times a year.

I just read the book "How To Write For Television - A Guide to Writing and Selling Successful TV Scripts" by William Smethurst. It was an eye-opener I can tell you. Seems the folk at TV are desperate for new writers and there are ALWAYS ways in, if you can write and can grab their attention. Current script writers on existing shows, and for existing TV Drama slots, are always dispensible, and fresh blood is always wanted.

You can make a packet too for each script.

Read this book, it is amazing. Oh, FYI, this deals with TV writing in the UK only.

Good luck to anyone giving the Writers Room a go!

Debbi

Quote Originally Posted by Debbi V View Post
    I'm already working on mine! Seems the folk at TV are desperate for new writers and there are ALWAYS ways in, if you can write and can grab their attention. Current script writers on existing shows, and for existing TV Drama slots, are always dispensible, and fresh blood is always wanted.

I think it's probably easier to get scripts read and sold for UK television than in America. I can't say for sure since I don't write for TV, but that's my sense of it. Industry executives are just more approachable overseas. It's incredibly difficult to sell spec TV scripts here. And without an agent, manager or connection, nearly impossible to even get them read.

Liza, it does seem surprisingly welcoming and inclusive. There are guidelines and sample scripts to look at. It makes me want to write scripts- everything else in writing seems like such an uphill battle that it is a refreshing change.

Debbi, good luck. How exciting- I'll look out for your name in the credits of the next BBC drama!

I started writing fan-fiction scripts (amateur) a few years ago on an internet forum. It was a discussion site about a TV programme and during the long wait between series (seasons-sorry) , we would write our own. I'm sure they were awful in terms of professional formatting, but some of them were really entertaining. Its what got me back into writing - ah, I'm getting nostalgic now...

That is a great site. Thanks.