HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

What about in-forum contests?

Some forums have a section for members to posit challenges to each other, just for fun, not to win major literary prizes, not to exercise majorly large literary works, but just simple little prompts for other members to work with. Then the responder puts forward their response for everyone else to critque. It's probably inappropriate for writers net in and of itself as you guys are a much more serious/mature membership. I still wanted to put forward the suggestion though. It works well on amateur writing forums where members know that they are amateurs but none the less they don't stop trying.

Could something like this be exercised on this forum & if so, where would we put it?

Re: What about in-forum contests?

We had some goofy competitions here years ago, but they generally fell into giggles and jokes.

I'd express an opinion on the subject, but my opinions don't seem to be particularly valuable regarding what happens with the site, so I've decided to keep them to myself.

I run an annual writing exercise on my blog every February and people are signing up now if anyone is interested. It's a less intense, more flexible version of NaNo.
    Though the majority of participants are YA authors, everyone is welcome. GRAPEMO 2011

I'm open to the idea of writing contests here on the site - and even trying to figure out some sort of award system. I'll start a sticky on the topic.

Leslee - Your opinions are valuable, and I'd love to hear what you think about this topic.
    Writers.Net Moderator

i like that idea of having in forum comps.
    a cool prize would be to have a featured "story" spot on the site where the winners work would be showed off until the next winner is named..

That kind of competition would be great.