HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Non-fiction query?

Hi,
    I am sure this needs a lot more polishing, but I have seen how supportive you all are in helping everyone get the best possible query letter out, so I thought I would see if you could help me also?

Sabina

================================================== ========

Dear

This is my first book, but it is on a subject matter that I feel very passionate about. “Attachment Disorders in Adults”. Attachment issues were the topic of my dissertation, and they are also the focus of my ongoing research.

My book begins with some autobiographical material, sharing with the reader that I myself have struggled with attachment matters in the past. The next part explains how someone finds themselves with an attachment disorder, what changes it brings about in the body and brain, as well as what the signs and symptoms are.

The third part is an illustration of the thought process of someone with an attachment disorder. It is written in journal style, but interspersed with explanations of how certain journal entries explain and pertain to the topic matter. This part is very candid and shows the level of fear and obsessive worry, as well as the global lack of trust that are present in the mind of a person with an Attachment Disorder.

Which (The Attachment Disorder) – by the way –is nothing much different than what is often dismissively called: “Abandonment issues”. As such you can imagine that there is a large percentage of readers to whom this will pertain and who will feel very much like this book speaks to them.

I would like to believe I have written this book with humor instead of just dry and scientific facts. Along those lines I also kept the language understandable and palatable to the average reader, as opposed to only the academic community.

One point that might also interest you is that in this book I am introducing a new category of psychological pathology, namely the “Adult Detachment Disorder, or ADeD”, which has not yet been mentioned in the DSM-IV-TR (the Bible of Psychiatrists and Psychologists). My hope is to get the attention of a larger segment of the population, but also to generate some academic discourse and further research in this matter.

I greatly appreciate your time and attention in reading my manuscript I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Sincerely,

Re: Non-fiction query?

As far as I understand it, non-fiction is not 'queried' as such but a proposal and submission is prepared; together with a list of your credentials.

Others I am sure will detail and claify this further for you.
    if the wine is sour – throw it out

SatyricalRaven

Oh I see - it's a "start from scratch " kinda thing? Maybe I shoul attempt some of that wine, sour or not....-D

Please do not send what you have written to anyone. You have to do some basic research on non-fiction proposals. It is not the same as a fiction query letter. Get on Google and start researching.

Okay.... thank you. Must be really bad. I will take the link provided above and see what I need to do. Thank you, everyone!

Do the homework, honey. You'll see why I asked you not to send it. The non-fiction proposal is an entirely different approach from a fiction query letter. Take your time. You want it to be right.

Leslee,

Yer a goddess.

Cur

Oh dear, I think I already messed up. Before I got advice on here I wrote a query to a Kristina Holmes who seemed really nice and a good fit. She wrote me back already, very polite, and said they don't do fictionalized books. Had I presented it as non-fiction, maybe I would have had her interest.

I suppose once I have a really good proposal I could always approach her again. All she can say is "no" again, right? :S

You need to research the agents before you send things. You have to know who you are sending to, and what they want to receive. You don't send a query like so many darts at dartboards. This is part of the homework. Knowing who you are sending to and providing them with what they want is as important as hving a good letter.

Slow down. Don't send anything until you're done the research.