HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Speaking of 'how-to'

I was wondering if anyone knew of a site where I could see (current) samples of successful query letters, ideally that could be searched/sorted by genre? I say current because tastes/requrements change and while there are samples of QL's here and there, they are often 5-10+ years old.

There are 100's of sites with 'how-to' guides for writing a QL but I know (at least for me) reading a good QL in my genre is more helpful than having someone tell me 250-300 words, 2-3 paragraphs etc. I understand the formula but I think I and others would benefit from the examples.

Cheers,
    if the wine is sour throw it out

SatyricalRaven

Re: Speaking of 'how-to'

You'll get it Sat, keep up the diligent work.

Depends on if it is fiction or non-fiction. "How To" books are non-fics so their QLs look different to fiction QLs. For non-fic you need a book proposal, pretty wordy in itself & for fiction you need to show your creative-ness in your QL (so they say). No idea really, because if you just copy the rubrics than the reader (agent/editor) will know that you've just copied it out of a textbook. You're supposed to show yourself in your QL & since ev.body is different, ev. QL will be different too (supposedly).

Sample QLs are printed in trade books like the Writers & Artists Yearbook in UK & its sister books in other countries. Lots of agents/publishers actually tell you exactly what they want to see in a QL but nobody really bothers to read through their websites The important thing is not to lose your essence in whatever you're writing. If you aim for the ideal/perfect "out there somewhere", you will sound stilted and untrue.

Sorry Good Morning,

I was neither asking for a HOW TO book nor for sample query letters.
    I thought I made that clear in my post; perhaps not. I am more than able to find, and aware of, information sites, inlcuding sample query letters. I was interested to know if there was a site where one could read actual successful query lettters.

And just on the fiction/non-fiction issue. Again I thought my post implied it but again, perhaps not clearly enough, I was talking about fiction. Given non-fiction has a different proposal method, it would difficult to believe one could complete it in 250-300 words.

Also. I DO read through agents sites. I think you'll find most people that are serious actually do. It's the only way to know what the agent wants in the submission.

SO if you know of a site with ACTUAL query letters that got agents, that is free, please let me know.

SatyricalRaven

Raven,
    Here are a few quick Google results...

Query letters that worked

Successful Queries

Is that what you were looking for?
    Writers.Net Moderator

exactly!

The second one is especially useful!

Thnak you

SatyricalRaven

No problem! I've added these links (and a few for non-fiction proposals) to the Query Letter Resources sticky in the Query Letters forum.
    Writers.Net Moderator

Satyrical Raven,

What's your genre? I found some samples a long time ago but they were Romance. Would that help?

Histroical-fantasy - trouble is, when you look it up you get Historical- Fantsy-Romance - it took me some time but I found useful sites/blogs

SatyricalRaven

Okay, this is a link I found a while ago. It's not historical fantasy. It's Romance- I don't write Romance but I found it useful. I hope it helps you somehow.

Good luck!

http://www.charlottedillon.com/QuerySamples.html