HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FACEBOOK

patrick shanahan

FACEBOOK

Has anyone advertised their book with facebook? If so, what was the cost and was it fruitful? Is there any other on line source that you found that was good? It seems that if you're not known, you won't be known. I'm a big fish in a puddle around home, but a minnow in an ocean everywhere else.

Re: FACEBOOK

Why on earth would you pay to advertise on Facebook when the whole point of the place is social networking? You get on there, you talk about your book. If you're interesting enough, people will read your comments and comment themselves, which generates more comments.

But advertising there? Why?

I've noticed quite a few authors with fb pages specific to their books. Most run contests to win a free signed copy of their book, or other types of swag (bookmarks, etc.) when they reach X number of followers. This generates buzz about the page.

Right. You use Facebook in different ways, but I certainly wouldn't pay to advertise there.

In addition to using facebook to promote your book, I have used my status
    to promote links to my articles I have written on ehow, demandstudios,
    associatedcontent and triond.
    Readership has gone up.

I've never put an add on fb. But I have put msg's up telling people about my book, when it will be out, and a link to where they can buy it. I have also used it and posted some excerts to one of my books I'm working on called "The Guardian" to see people's reactions to it. I already have 20 or more people lined up to buy it when it comes out, so that is a plus. I have heard fb is a good way for advertising your business but I don't know about promoting a book with a single add. You could do what I did. Create a business page and keep updates on what you are doing, your products, and just talk about writing in general to keep people interested and up to date with you as a writer. Hope this helps.
    “Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”
    -Joseph Pulitzer

Margaret, does putting excerpts of your book on Facebook make the book "published?"

I'm curious, because I've thought about doing that, but don't want an agent to get mad at me when they find excerpts on the internet, and then refuse to rep me because it's already published.

Not that I am aware of. I have seen quite a few authors do that before their book comes out. As far as I know, if it is your own personal website than it's ok. If you submit those excerpts for publication at a magazine or website and it gets accepted it would already be considered published. So, you couldn't use that excerpt in your book, unless you got prior ok from the person who published it. If you are thinking of doing something like that I would choose the security settings as private so only you can see it, let people on your freinds list know it is available to view but to leave a comment saying they would like to read the excerpt. This way it isn't up for the whole world to see. Then wait a day or two and then remove it from your page completely. It will protect you if someone hacks into your account then you don't have to worry about them stealing it for their own use or something. This is what I did. After it is published and in print then you can post excerpts to entice people to buy your book and don't have to worry about someone taking your work, because then if they do you have a lawsuit. lol Hope this helps. Time to go back to my English 2 work.
    “Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”
    -Joseph Pulitzer